Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.
Bank Holiday Barbecue Safety Warning
4:40pm 23rd August 2013
It is claimed half of us don't know dragging a barbecue inside a tent or caravan could kill.
Nationally 40 people have died or been injured by carbon monoxide, given off by smouldering barbecues.
Three members of the same family lost their lives to the colourless, odourless gas inside a static caravan in Camborne earlier this year.
Mark Pratten from Cornwall's Fire Service, said: "Especially when people are on holiday, safety tends to fall down the order somewhat, because people are enjoying themselves, they're relaxed, they're not considering these things. It's making sure before they go away and when they arrive on site that they receive information on the dangerous of carbon monoxide."
Sarah Hill from the Gas Safe Register, said: "Carbon Monoxide can be deadly. You can't see it, you can't smell it, you can't taste it, so make sure appliances are regularly checked and never, ever bring a portable cooking appliance or a barbecue inside a confined space."
Here are 5 tips to help protect your family:
1 - Never use a smouldering or lit barbeque (charcoal or gas), gas stove, light or heater in a tent, caravan, room or cabin, or under an awning.
2 - Remember the six main signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning - headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
3 - If using a gas appliance, check that it is in good order, undamaged and, where present, that hoses are properly attached and undamaged.
4 - If you are staying in rented accommodation where there are gas appliances, check there is a current gas safety check record displayed. If you cannot see one, contact the owner. In the UK, the owner must do this by law.
5 - Recognise the signs of dodgy gas appliances. Black marks or stains around the appliance, yellow lazy flames instead of crisp blue flames, and too much condensation are all signs gas appliances aren’t working properly.
Share This StoryTweet
WATCH: Warnings To Cornwall About Child Car Seat Safety
Firefighters release photos after properly fitted one reduced injuries in crash
WATCH: Flood Warnings For Cornish Coast
The Environment Agency says 'immediate action is required'
Job Losses At Building Supplies Firm With Branches Across Cornwall
We do not know which Travis Perkins sites will be affected
Pensioner Dies After A30 Crash
Police say the 84 year old's car hit the central reservation at Launceston
Care Worker Jailed For Pensioner's Murder
Cornwall News: Karen Pedley from Carharrack handed 14 life sentences
CS gas spray found after London City Airport evacuated
National News: Police investigating a suspected chemical incident at London City Airport say they believe they have found CS gas spray.
Business Cornwall News - Friday, 18th December 2015
Business Cornwall News: Cornwall is spearheading reform of the Uk’s business licensing laws following a a year-long project.
Actress Shailene Woodley 'tells the truth' of her arrest
Showbiz News: Shailene Woodley has written an article "telling the truth" about her arrest for protesting against the Dakota oil pipeline.
Justin Ross Harris 'sexted teen while toddler son died in car'
World News: A man exchanged sexual text messages with a teenage girl while his toddler son died in the back of his baking hot car, a court has heard.
England forward Kruis out due to ankle surgery
Sports News: England forward George Kruis will be out for "a number of weeks" after having ankle surgery, say his club Saracens.
Shark-cage diver 'reborn' after close encounter with great white
Strange News: A man who survived a face to face encounter with a great white shark says he feels "reborn" after the terrifying incident.