Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.
LISTEN: "Worse Than Your Worst Nightmare"
7:01am 17th September 2013
A Camelford mum who suffered ten years of carbon monoxide poisoning tells Pirate FM she wanted to die.
Joyce Bridgewater endured bouts of pneumonia, heart attacks and blindness because of a faulty cooker and fire.
But despite a string of hospital appointments - it was not picked up for a decade.
Joyce said: "It's worse than your worst nightmare.
"Every organ is just screaming out for oxygen but my body couldn't give any oxygen because it was being poisoned.
"It was very, very painful. Very, very debilitating.
"During that time I was very, very dizzy. I started to go blind. The kind of thing that is so unusual that you think, 'What on earth is going on with me?'"
You can hear more of Joyce's story here...
In the last four years before she was diagnosed with CO poisoning Joyce was house bound, she couldn't sleep and was beside herself. But being housebound made her symptoms worse.
In October 2005 Joyce decided to book a holiday. Once on holiday by the sea she felt much better than she had done for years.
Then, on the flight home, she has severe heart and chest pains which she described as terrifying and unbearable. Joyce started thinking that it was something to do with air quality which was making her sick.
A few weeks after Joyce was home from her holiday she frantically searched the internet looking for information about the quality of air and the effects on the body.
Finally she came across carbon monoxide poisoning. As she looked through the list of symptoms she realised that it was CO poisoning making her ill.
She had heart pains, chest pains, headaches, nausea, dizziness, insomnia, lack of energy, flu-like symptoms.
Engineers were finally able to identify her gas cooker and gas fire leaking high levels of the colourless, odourless gas. Joyce had always had her boiler checked but never thought of having her fire or cooker checked.
Now she is calling on the government to run a TV awareness campaign
Share This StoryTweet
LISTEN: Cornwall's Tributes To Status Quo Star
Turns out the Duchy surprised Rick Parfitt...
LISTEN: Cornish Nan's Christmas Presents Snatched In Break-In
Police say the gifts labelled 'love Nana' are worth £800
BREAKING: Crash Closes A30 Near Launceston
Cornwall News: A car rolled over just before the morning rush
House asking price growth slows amid Brexit fears: Rightmove
National News: House asking prices are rising at the slowest rate for nearly four years amid rising inflation, fears about Brexit and a tighter lending rules, new figures suggest.
Daniel Craig now second longest-serving 007
Showbiz News: Daniel Craig has become cinema's second longest-serving James Bond by playing the role for 4,147 days - or almost 11-and-a-half years.
US defence secretary General James Mattis visits Baghdad
World News: The US defence secretary General James Mattis has said the US isn't in Iraq "to steal anybody's oil" on a surprise visit to Baghdad.
Swim legend Grant Hackett found 'safe and well' after missing fears
Sports News: Aussie swimming star Grant Hackett has been found safe and well after going missing, according to his father.
Men and women 'need different things' to keep friendships alive
Strange News: Your ability to keep long-distance friendships alive may depend on your gender, according to a new study.