Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.
Two in Hospital After Carbon Monoxide Alert
7:01am 12th November 2013
Two people are in hospital after a carbon monoxide leak in Newquay.
They have been checked over after an alarm went off on Cheviot Road last night.
A spokesperson for Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said: "One fire appliance from Newquay Community Fire Station attended a report of a carbon monoxide alarm actuating.
"Firefighters isolated the utility supplies and ventilated the property to ensure that it was safe. Two occupants were conveyed to hospital by ambulance as a precautionary measure."
It comes a day after Pirate FM ran a story warning of the dangers of the invisible gas - urging people to have appliances checked and to install an alarm that can detect leaks.
Crew manager Mark Pratten from Cornwall Fire & Rescue Service said: "Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal.
"When the fuel does not burn properly excess CO is produced. When CO enters the body, it prevents the blood from bringing oxygen to cells, tissues, and organs.
"We want to continually raise awareness and provide education to the people of Cornwall regarding the dangers of this silent killer. It is important to understand that carbon monoxide can be produced in many different ways, not just by a gas boiler or gas appliance. We are therefore asking people to be CO aware and to take these steps to avoid becoming a victim of this silent killer."
Share This StoryTweet
BREAKING: Seven Rescued After House Fire
Cornwall News: Crews think the blaze in Newquay could be arson
Pay growth accelerates but employment slips again - ONS
National News: The gap between rising inflation and wage increases is being maintained, in what amounts to positive news for consumers in the latest employment figures.
Business Cornwall News - Friday, 18th December 2015
Business Cornwall News: Cornwall is spearheading reform of the Uk’s business licensing laws following a a year-long project.
Jamiroquai tease comeback with sample of first album in seven years
Showbiz News: Jamiroquai have announced their comeback "to a planet near you", teasing fans with the release of their first new music in seven years.
More people killed by horses than snakes in Australia, says study
World News: More people are killed by horses in Australia than all venomous animals combined, according to research.
Andy Murray makes winning start at Australian Open
Sports News: World number one Andy Murray kicked off his Australian Open campaign with a hard-fought straight-sets victory against Illya Marchenko on Monday.
'Where's Wally' fugitive hands himself in to police live on Facebook
Strange News: A man who changed his Facebook profile picture to Where's Wally as he was being pursued by police has handed himself in, live on social media.