Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.
Two in Carbon Monoxide Scare
7:00am 14th January 2014
Two people have been taken to hospital after another carbon monoxide leak in Cornwall.
Emergency crews were scrambled to Lanivet just after midnight when an alarm went off.
Officials say the potentially deadly gas was being given off by ash swept off a log burner.
It is the third time in less than a week something like this has happened in the Duchy.
A spokesperson for Cornwall Fire and Rescue said: "One fire appliance and a supervisory officer were mobilised to a report of a carbon monoxide detector actuation in a property. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property with a gas monitor to confirm the presence of carbon monoxide. An ambulance crew attended to care for two occupants showing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. They were conveyed to hospital to be checked over.
"Ash that had been removed from the grate of a log burner and stored inside was identified as the source of the carbon monoxide. The ash was taken outside and the property fully ventilated before further readings were taken with the gas monitor to confirm the presence of carbon monoxide had been removed."
"This incident highlights that ash from a wood, log burner or open fire, even if it appears cold, should be disposed of with great care. In addition to the risk of fire, there is real danger that it will give off carbon monoxide, so never store it in a confined space."
You can find more advice on how to keep your family safe here.7:00am 14th January 2014
Share This StoryTweet
Carbon Monoxide Scare In Newquay
An alarm had gone off twice in two days
WATCH: Three Treated For Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Firefighters called to north and west Cornwall
Construction recruits dry up amid Brexit fears
National News: Managers in the construction industry have told Sky News they are struggling to recruit much-needed European workers following the vote to leave the EU.
Game of Thrones' Dark Hedges tree destroyed by Storm Doris
Showbiz News: A 200-year-old tree in a landmark avenue made famous by Game of Thrones has been destroyed by Storm Doris.
Behind the scenes: What 'fixated' Bannon really thinks
World News: For a brief moment, a fascinating window on the White House opened at the CPAC conference in Washington DC.
British Cycling 'may have crossed ethical lines' - UK Sport Chairman
Sports News: British Cycling may have crossed ethical lines in its treatment of athletes in the past, according to the chairman of UK Sport Rod Carr.
Ancient microbes found trapped in crystals in Mexican cave system
Strange News: A population of microbes that are tens of thousands of years old has been discovered in a place called Hell.