Pirate FM News

Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.

Cornish Mum Calls for Cervical Cancer Checks

PirateFM news logo wide
Delicious Submit this page to reddit

2:38pm 7th May 2014

A Penzance mum tells Pirate FM  "you don't get over it", after she lost her daughter to cervical cancer.

Mercedes Curnow lost her battle to the disease in 2011, at the age of 23.

Her mum Sandra Cousins is calling for routine human papillomavirus (HPV) tests at GUM clinics, alongside other sexually transmitted disease tests.

She says it is the best way of detecting those at risk, and obtain early diagnosis.

HPV is responsible for 70% of all cervical cancer cases.

Currently only women over 25 can be tested as part of the initial cervical screening.

Sandra Cosuins said: "It would identify that you have the high risk HPV, in males and females. In 70% of cases this is being passed on to young women and they die, they can die and they do die.

"70% of cervical cancer cases are caused by the HPV virus, high risk strains of 16 and 18. So if you can prevent 70% of cases, I mean that's huge. That leaves the other 30% that is a little bit more difficult."

2:38pm 7th May 2014

Share This Story

Delicious Submit this page to reddit
Suggested articles
william mead

WATCH: Grieving Mum Whose Baby Died Of Sepsis Gives Birth

Melissa has named her new little boy after William - who died after health workers missed chances to save him

Most read
porth beach

Man Dies On Cornish Beach

A pensioner has died after being pulled from the water near Newquay

treluswell

Crash Blocks Busy A39 Near Falmouth

Police say the road near Treluswell roundabout has now re-opened

Top articles

Mum Was Planning Son's Funeral When She Was Told - The Body Isn't His

Cornwall News: Sharon Gibson's search for her missing son Chad continues

Pirate FM Cornwall News Update - 7th January 2016

Cornwall Video News: Officials say they’re holding talks to find new jobs for hundreds of workers in Bodmin.

National child abuse inquiry loses another senior lawyer

National News: The national child abuse inquiry has suffered a fresh setback after top lawyer Elizabeth Prochaska confirmed she had quit her role.

Business Cornwall News - Friday, 18th December 2015

Business Cornwall News: Cornwall is spearheading reform of the Uk’s business licensing laws following a a year-long project.

A stream come true: Spotify with karaoke twist launches in Japan

Showbiz News: Spotify has unveiled plans to launch in Japan, with a new lyrics feature that is designed to appeal to the country's love for karaoke.

Video shows US police shoot dead autistic boy Jeremy Mardis

World News: Body camera footage has shown the moment police officers opened fire on a car, killing a six-year-old autistic boy.

Rugby player Anthony Mundine urges Australia anthem boycott

Sports News: A former rugby league star is urging a boycott of the national anthem to raise awareness of the treatment of indigenous Australians.

Man goes to court over right to 'Mona Lisa' passport smile

Strange News: A Frenchman is fighting to overturn a ban on passport photos which show the person smiling, claiming the rule is keeping people depressed.

Newer article

Crumbling Cornish School Won't Get Repaired

Cornwall News: Helston Community College desperately needs work doing to C Block.

Older article

VIDEO: Cornish Army Reserves Train for Future Wars

Cornwall News: 6 Rifles from Truro and the south-west on exercise in Cyprus

Cornwall's Pirate FMPirate 2Pirate Oldies on DAB Digital RadioEscape to Cornwall radioLoveCornwall.com - The Cornish Business DirectoryPirate Education and Training

 

© Copyright Pirate FM

Pirate FM cannot be held responsible for the content of external links.

Close

We Use Cookies

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer.

By using this website you accept the use of cookies as explained in the terms of our cookie policy.