Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.
"Slimy" Meat Sold To Festival Goers
7:06am 14th May 2014
(Updated 7:06am 14th May 2014)
A hog roast company's ordered to pay more than £17,000 after inspectors found rancid meat turning on a spit at a Cornish festival.
Rainha Santa Portuguese Foods admitted selling unfit meat at Boardmasters in 2012.
It pleaded guilty at Truro Magistrates Court to selling unfit meat at the Boardmasters event in August 2012 and has been ordered to pay a fine of £6,750, costs of £10,418.40 and £120 victim surcharge.
Officers from Cornwall Council’s Food and Safety Team discovered 5 pig carcasses in the trailer belonging to Rainha Santa Portuguese Foods Ltd, a company based at 39 Mahatma Gandhi Industrial Estate, Milkwood Road, London SE24 0JF, that were in a state of decay. A further carcass was being cooked on the spit at the time of the inspection. It later transpired the pigs had been transported to Cornwall without adequate refrigeration and this is likely to have been an influencing factor to the smell and slime observed when the officers inspected the carcasses and immediately removed them from sale.
Cornwall Council Food and Safety Manager Nick Kelly said: “Inspection of foods sold to the public are a routine part of food safety inspections, and any food found to be in an unfit state will be removed and action can be taken against the food business operator. In this instance the diligence of the inspecting officers saved a large number of people from unwittingly buying unfit food.”
Andrew Topham, Managing Director of Boardmasters said: “Boardmasters takes selection of food contractors very seriously and undertake a rigorous application process in partnership with Cornwall Council environmental health team. In this isolated case it seems that the contractor did not follow the correct procedures for refrigerating meat and this was promptly picked up during a routine site inspection. Working with the Council, we acted swiftly and the food outlet was closed and removed from site. We would like to reassure all our festival goers that their safety and wellbeing is of paramount importance.“
Cornwall Council cabinet member for homes and communities Geoff Brown said: “The sentence imposed by the magistrates reflects the seriousness of this case. The council carries out thousands of food safety inspections each year and regularly advise businesses on how to comply with the law. However, when businesses potentially put customers at risk by selling unfit meat, we will not hesitate to take formal action through the courts.”
Share This StoryTweet
WATCH: Dangerous Driving Crackdown Targets Festival-Goers
'Unsafe' coach among vehicles stopped ahead of Newquay's Boardmasters
WATCH: One Week Old Seal "Harassed" By Beach-Goers
Friends of Portheras Cove calls for people not to scare them
WATCH: Earthquake Hits Cornwall
Experts say it is the biggest here in five years
UPDATE: Further Remains Found After Discovery Of Human Foot
Police are now searching the stream bed in woods near Truro
Prime Minister Says Heathrow Expansion Will Be 'Hugely Important' To Cornwall In Duchy Visit
Cornwall News: She met with business leaders and airport bosses in Newquay this morning
Baroness Tonge resigns from the Liberal Democrats following suspension
National News: Baroness Tonge has resigned from the Liberal Democrats after she chaired a meeting in Parliament where anti-Semitic remarks were made.
Business Cornwall News - Friday, 18th December 2015
Business Cornwall News: Cornwall is spearheading reform of the Uk’s business licensing laws following a a year-long project.
Strokes guitarist Nick Valensi out of the shadows with New Skin
Showbiz News: The Strokes guitarist Nick Valensi has become a frontman for a new band called CRX, but says at first he "struggled to write lyrics".
School airstrikes in Syria 'could be war crime', UNICEF says
World News: Airstrikes on a Syrian school that killed scores of children could be a "war crime", the head of the UN children's agency has said.
Hearn still holding talks over AJ opponent
Sports News: Promoter Eddie Hearn has revealed that talks are ongoing "with a number of fighters" as he edges closer to confirming a challenger for Anthony Joshua.