Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.
VIDEO: Final Day To Find Missing Yachtsman
6:03am 23rd May 2014
(Updated 6:03am 23rd May 2014)
There is less than 24 hours to find a missing yachtsmen, who grew up in south east Cornwall.
The US Coast Guard has said the search for Paul Goslin and three other British sailors missing in the Atlantic will last for one more day.
Speaking in Boston, Massachusetts, the man leading the hunt said that if nothing was found the search would be called off at midnight on Friday - 5am on Saturday UK time.
Captain Anthony Popiel said he had phoned the men's families: "I informed them that the search would continue throughout the night and into tomorrow.
"If by midnight tomorrow (5am UK time) there are no further developments to indicate search efforts would locate the crew alive we will suspend the search."
He added: "It is only after deepest consideration that we suspend active search efforts."
Debris was found in the search area on Thursday, but Captain Popiel said none of the objects located so far match the missing yacht.
"We've informed the British consulate of our plans and appreciate the support we've received with this decision," he told a news conference.
"With sincere compassion for the families of these four men, our thoughts and prayers are with them all during this difficult time."
Steve Warren, 52, Andrew Bridge, 22, James Male, 23, and Paul Goslin, 56, were on board the 40ft yacht when it ran into difficulties a week ago while returning to the UK from a regatta in Antigua.
An initial search for the stricken vessel was called off on Sunday amid bad weather in the Atlantic Ocean, but began again on Tuesday after pressure from the men's families.
More than 200,000 people also signed a petition demanding the operation be resumed and the families of the four sailors have written to President Obama to thank him for his support.
The search, around 1,000 miles east of Cape Cod, Massachusetts, includes commercial vessels as well as aircraft from the US Coast Guard, the US Air Force, the Canadian military and the RAF.
"The Coast Guard cutter Vigorous will arrive on scene tonight," added Captain Popiel.
"A US Navy warship has already arrived in the search area and commenced search operations with a helicopter."
More than 17,500 square miles of ocean have been covered since the search resumed three days ago.6:03am 23rd May 2014
Share This StoryTweet
UPDATE: Search For Missing Swimmer In Newquay
Cornwall News: The lifeboat crew says it was a false alarm - and has been stood down
Southern Railway to suffer more strike action
National News: Passengers on the Southern Railway network face more delays next week after drivers and guards in the RMT union voted to strike.
Business Cornwall News - Friday, 18th December 2015
Business Cornwall News: Cornwall is spearheading reform of the Uk’s business licensing laws following a a year-long project.
Donald Trump hits back at Tom Ford for dissing Melania
Showbiz News: A Donald Trump-friendly Las Vegas hotel has stopped selling Tom Ford products over the designer's refusal to dress his wife.
Reward offered for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370
World News: Malaysia has offered a reward to help find missing flight MH370 - just days after abandoning its three-year search.
Defending champion stunned by wild card at Australian Open
Sports News: Novak Djokovic's hopes of a record-breaking seventh Australian Open title were shattered by an inspired Denis Istomin in a five-set thriller on Thursday.
A moo-ving story: Cow rescued from swimming pool in Oklahoma
Strange News: A bovine visitor took a fancy to a neighbourhood swimming pool and couldn't resist an early morning dip.