Pirate FM News

Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.

Cornwall Could Bid For America's Cup

news - ben ainslie
Delicious Submit this page to reddit

8:02am 22nd June 2014

Pirate FM has learnt Cornwall could bid to host the America's Cup.

The massive sailing event would bring millions to the Duchy if it was held off Falmouth.

But it couldn't happen until after 2017

Olympic champion Sir Ben Ainslie learnt to sail off Restronguet.

He is just announced plans for a British team and tells us it is big money; "The budget is around about 80 million pounds and our funding comes through private investors, which is about 40% of the budget, and commercially which will be the other 60 percent. Negotiations and conversations that we've had so far have been really promising so we expect to reach that target.

"Certainly standing there lifting the America's Cup the main thought was we should be doing this for Britain. It's taken the last ten months to get the funding together to get the key people together team members together but we're in a very strong position now to push forwards."

Kim Conchie from Cornwall's Chamber of Commerce wants to use EU money to bid to host it: "When it comes to eh America's Cup it's not just the crew on the boat, you've got these massive support teams who would fill hotels and then you've got the world's media for the period of time that it takes so Cornwall would more than recoup.

"He's always mentioned how lovely the waters are around the Carrick Roads and indeed in the wider sphere out in Falmouth Bay. Wouldn't it be wonderful if he went back to the sailing waters of his youth and brought the whole shebang?"

8:02am 22nd June 2014

Share This Story

Delicious Submit this page to reddit
Suggested articles

PHOTOS: Will This Create Almost 1000 New Jobs For Cornwall?

It comes after a six star resort near Wadebridge got the go ahead

ruthern bridge

WATCH: Cornwall Beauty Spots Added To 'At-Risk' Register

Ruthern Bridge and the HMS Colossus wreck named by Historic England

Most read
travis perkins

Job Losses At Building Supplies Firm With Branches Across Cornwall

We do not know which Travis Perkins sites will be affected

police line

Pensioner Dies After A30 Crash

Police say the 84 year old's car hit the central reservation at Launceston

Top articles

Care Worker Jailed For Pensioner's Murder

Cornwall News: Karen Pedley from Carharrack handed 14 life sentences

Pirate FM Cornwall News Update - 7th January 2016

Cornwall Video News: Officials say they’re holding talks to find new jobs for hundreds of workers in Bodmin.

Dozens ill as 'chemical incident' closes London City Airport

National News: Paramedics have treated 26 people after London City Airport was closed and evacuated over reports of a "chemical incident".

Business Cornwall News - Friday, 18th December 2015

Business Cornwall News: Cornwall is spearheading reform of the Uk’s business licensing laws following a a year-long project.

Actress Shailene Woodley 'tells the truth' of her arrest

Showbiz News: Shailene Woodley has written an article "telling the truth" about her arrest for protesting against the Dakota oil pipeline.

Experimental Mars probe crash-landed and may have exploded

World News: A space probe that was supposed to look for signs of life on Mars has crash-landed and may have exploded, the ESA has confirmed

England forward Kruis out due to ankle surgery

Sports News: England forward George Kruis will be out for "a number of weeks" after having ankle surgery, say his club Saracens.

Shark-cage diver 'reborn' after close encounter with great white

Strange News: A man who survived a face to face encounter with a great white shark says he feels "reborn" after the terrifying incident.

Newer article

Looe Attack

Cornwall News: Three men sought after man assaulted

Older article

Credit Cards Stolen from Hotels

Cornwall News: Police search for a man after guests in Cornwall targeted

Cornwall's Pirate FMPirate 2Pirate Oldies on DAB Digital RadioEscape to Cornwall radioLoveCornwall.com - The Cornish Business DirectoryPirate Education and Training


© Copyright Pirate FM

Pirate FM cannot be held responsible for the content of external links.


We Use Cookies

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer.

By using this website you accept the use of cookies as explained in the terms of our cookie policy.