Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.
Personal Safety Warning
7:04am 9th August 2014
Cornwall is urged to stay safe on a night out.
It is after 30 year old Newquay homeless man Nicholas Peppiatt was jailed for what has been dubbed 'the worst rape imaginable'
We are being re-assured the attack on a student in the resort in June is very, very rare.
But Inspector Dave Meredith says there are still things we can do to stay safe: " Always try and tell people, friends and relatives, where you are going. Try to avoid drinking to excess. Always try and have a mobile phone with you with a taxi's number programmed into it and always try to go out with a friend.
"These offences although very rare, sadly do happen, and the general advice from police and certainly from my point of view for people visiting Newquay and it's night time economy are just to take some common sense precautions."
The Suzy Lamplugh Trust gives advice - here are some of its top tips:
* Plan ahead. Before you go out, think about how you are going to get home, e.g. Can you travel home with a friend? What time does the last bus/train leave?
* Try to use well-lit, busy streets and use the route you know best.
* Keep your mind on your surroundings
* Be extra careful when using cashpoint machines.
* If you think you are being followed, trust your instincts and take action. As confidently as you can, cross the road, turning to see who is behind you. If you are still being followed, keep moving. Make for a busy area and tell people what is happening. If necessary, call the police.
Share This StoryTweet
WATCH: Cornwall American: I Can't Support "Someone Like That"
Cornwall News: One verdict as Donald Trump becomes President
British man killed working on World Cup stadium in Qatar
National News: A British man has died while working on a stadium for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
Business Cornwall News - Friday, 18th December 2015
Business Cornwall News: Cornwall is spearheading reform of the Uk’s business licensing laws following a a year-long project.
People's Choice Awards: Depp 'deeply affected by kindness'
Showbiz News: Johnny Depp has thanked his fans for supporting him "through good times or bad", just a few days after finalising his divorce.
Chinese economic growth picks up for first time in two years
World News: There is renewed concern for rising debt levels in the Chinese economy after it posted growth numbers for the final quarter of 2016 that beat expectations.
Defending champion stunned by wild card at Australian Open
Sports News: Novak Djokovic's hopes of a record-breaking seventh Australian Open title were shattered by an inspired Denis Istomin in a five-set thriller on Thursday.
US Congress broadcast interrupted by Russian channel RT
Strange News: An online broadcast of a US network from the floor of the House of Representatives has been bizarrely interrupted by the Russian news site RT.