Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.
A&E Warning at Treliske
7:01am 3rd March 2012
A surge of emergencies at Cornwall's biggest hospital prompts a warning.
Health bosses say we should only to go to A&E at Treliske this weekend if we are seriously ill or have a life threatening injury.
They say the hospital is under increasing pressure.
Carol Williams, Director of Nursing at the Primary Care Trust, said:
"If people suffer a life-threatening injury or are very seriously ill then of course they should call 999 or go to A&E"
"But this weekend Treliske emergency department is going to be very busy indeed and I would just urge people to think whether it really is the best place for them"
Other options to consider if you become ill or have a minor injury this weekend are:
· Call Serco, the out of hours GP service, on 0845 2000 227 - they can help with an urgent need for care when you would normally see a GP.
· Go to a minor injury unit. Information about where minor injury units are is available from NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or www.nhs.uk they can deal with cuts and sprains and some can do x-rays.
· In west Cornwall the urgent care centre at West Cornwall Hospital in Penzance can deal with more serious injuries and is open 24-hours-a-day.
· You should also consider whether your local pharmacy can help.
· And there is a walk in centre at the Cardrew Industrial Estate, Redruth which is open from 8am to 8pm every day of the year without an appointment.
Share This StoryTweet
WATCH: Cornwall American: I Can't Support "Someone Like That"
Cornwall News: One verdict as Donald Trump becomes President
Number of people moving home falls for first time since 2011
National News: The number of people moving home fell in 2016 for the first time in five years, according to new research from Lloyds Bank.
Business Cornwall News - Friday, 18th December 2015
Business Cornwall News: Cornwall is spearheading reform of the Uk’s business licensing laws following a a year-long project.
People's Choice Awards: Depp 'deeply affected by kindness'
Showbiz News: Johnny Depp has thanked his fans for supporting him "through good times or bad", just a few days after finalising his divorce.
Defending champion stunned by wild card at Australian Open
Sports News: Novak Djokovic's hopes of a record-breaking seventh Australian Open title were shattered by an inspired Denis Istomin in a five-set thriller on Thursday.
US Congress broadcast interrupted by Russian channel RT
Strange News: An online broadcast of a US network from the floor of the House of Representatives has been bizarrely interrupted by the Russian news site RT.