Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.
A&E Warning at Treliske
7:01am 3rd March 2012
A surge of emergencies at Cornwall's biggest hospital prompts a warning.
Health bosses say we should only to go to A&E at Treliske this weekend if we are seriously ill or have a life threatening injury.
They say the hospital is under increasing pressure.
Carol Williams, Director of Nursing at the Primary Care Trust, said:
"If people suffer a life-threatening injury or are very seriously ill then of course they should call 999 or go to A&E"
"But this weekend Treliske emergency department is going to be very busy indeed and I would just urge people to think whether it really is the best place for them"
Other options to consider if you become ill or have a minor injury this weekend are:
· Call Serco, the out of hours GP service, on 0845 2000 227 - they can help with an urgent need for care when you would normally see a GP.
· Go to a minor injury unit. Information about where minor injury units are is available from NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or www.nhs.uk they can deal with cuts and sprains and some can do x-rays.
· In west Cornwall the urgent care centre at West Cornwall Hospital in Penzance can deal with more serious injuries and is open 24-hours-a-day.
· You should also consider whether your local pharmacy can help.
· And there is a walk in centre at the Cardrew Industrial Estate, Redruth which is open from 8am to 8pm every day of the year without an appointment.
Share This StoryTweet
WATCH: Warnings To Cornwall About Child Car Seat Safety
Firefighters release photos after properly fitted one reduced injuries in crash
WATCH: Flood Warnings For Cornish Coast
The Environment Agency says 'immediate action is required'
Job Losses At Building Supplies Firm With Branches Across Cornwall
We do not know which Travis Perkins sites will be affected
Pensioner Dies After A30 Crash
Police say the 84 year old's car hit the central reservation at Launceston
Care Worker Jailed For Pensioner's Murder
Cornwall News: Karen Pedley from Carharrack handed 14 life sentences
Business Cornwall News - Friday, 18th December 2015
Business Cornwall News: Cornwall is spearheading reform of the Uk’s business licensing laws following a a year-long project.
Actress Shailene Woodley 'tells the truth' of her arrest
Showbiz News: Shailene Woodley has written an article "telling the truth" about her arrest for protesting against the Dakota oil pipeline.
Syrian army responsible for third chlorine gas attack - UN inquiry
World News: A UN inquiry has found Syrian government forces responsible for another toxic gas attack, this time in Syria's Idlib province in March 2015.
England forward Kruis out due to ankle surgery
Sports News: England forward George Kruis will be out for "a number of weeks" after having ankle surgery, say his club Saracens.
Shark-cage diver 'reborn' after close encounter with great white
Strange News: A man who survived a face to face encounter with a great white shark says he feels "reborn" after the terrifying incident.