Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.
A&E Warning at Treliske
7:01am 3rd March 2012
A surge of emergencies at Cornwall's biggest hospital prompts a warning.
Health bosses say we should only to go to A&E at Treliske this weekend if we are seriously ill or have a life threatening injury.
They say the hospital is under increasing pressure.
Carol Williams, Director of Nursing at the Primary Care Trust, said:
"If people suffer a life-threatening injury or are very seriously ill then of course they should call 999 or go to A&E"
"But this weekend Treliske emergency department is going to be very busy indeed and I would just urge people to think whether it really is the best place for them"
Other options to consider if you become ill or have a minor injury this weekend are:
· Call Serco, the out of hours GP service, on 0845 2000 227 - they can help with an urgent need for care when you would normally see a GP.
· Go to a minor injury unit. Information about where minor injury units are is available from NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or www.nhs.uk they can deal with cuts and sprains and some can do x-rays.
· In west Cornwall the urgent care centre at West Cornwall Hospital in Penzance can deal with more serious injuries and is open 24-hours-a-day.
· You should also consider whether your local pharmacy can help.
· And there is a walk in centre at the Cardrew Industrial Estate, Redruth which is open from 8am to 8pm every day of the year without an appointment.
Share This StoryTweet
Peugeot boss: We can turn around ailing Vauxhall owner
National News: The car boss eyeing a takeover of Vauxhall's owner has said it could help turn around the loss-making company's fortunes - but made no pledges on jobs.
Paolo Nutini arrested over drink-driving in home town of Paisley
Showbiz News: Pop star Paolo Nutini has been arrested in his home town of Paisley, Renfrewshire over alleged drink-driving and traffic offences.
Winning US Powerball ticket bought in Indiana worth £349m
World News: A lucky gambler in Indiana has been confirmed as one of the biggest winners in US Powerball history.
Non-league Lincoln make FA Cup history
Sports News: Lincoln have become the first non-league team to reach the quarter finals of the FA Cup in more than 100 years.
Ancient microbes found trapped in crystals in Mexican cave system
Strange News: A population of microbes that are tens of thousands of years old has been discovered in a place called Hell.