Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.
2000 Jobs Safe in Sub Deal
3:09pm 26th March 2012
(Updated 3:09pm 26th March 2012)
More than a thousand jobs are being safeguarded at Devonport.
A deal has been announced to refit HMS Vengeance in Plymouth.
Along with defence firm Babcock, Defence Secretary Philip Hammond has unveiled the plans to refit and refuel the submarine during a visit to Plymouth.
The MoD said the work on the Vanguard Class submarine will secure more than 1,000 jobs at Babcock, a further 300 at other firms in Plymouth and another 700 jobs in the industrial supply chain across the UK.
Mr Hammond has told a press conference: "As well as securing 2,000 UK jobs, this contract will ensure the nuclear deterrent submarine fleet can continue to operate safely and effectively to maintain a continuous at sea deterrent.
"As we stabilise the defence budget we are increasingly able to commit to equipment projects to safeguard the UK's National Security.
"Devonport Dockyard is at the heart of maintaining and supporting the Royal Navy and I am pleased that such a large number of jobs will be protected."
It will be the last time one of the Vanguard submarines will be refuelled.
A new reactor core - the energy source that powers the 15,000 tonne vessel - will also be fitted that will last her until she is decommissioned.
The MoD said it would also include a complete overhaul of equipment on the submarine, the installation of improved missile launch equipment and upgraded computer systems.
Rear Admiral Simon Lister, director of submarines for the MoD, said: "This contract marks the final phase of what has proved to be a very successful programme of refuelling our fleet of nuclear submarines."
But there has been criticism over what has been perceived locally as a delay in signing the deal.
HMS Vengeance arrived at Devonport Naval Base on March 2 and has been tied up at the base since.
Alison Seabeck, the Labour MP for Plymouth Moor View, said the contract was "good news for Plymouth" but that there had been some concern among local workers after the submarine arrived without a signed contract for the refit.
"Vengeance, rather unusually, has been left sitting in dock in Plymouth waiting for the sign-off from the Secretary of State," she said.
"There was no obvious reason why, given refits are planned years in advance, that there should be a delay."
Share This StoryTweet
WATCH: RNLI Urges Beachgoers To Stay Safe This Half Term
It follows a series of deaths around the Cornish coast this summer
PHOTOS: Will This Create Almost 1000 New Jobs For Cornwall?
It comes after a six star resort near Wadebridge got the go ahead
WATCH: Earthquake Hits Cornwall
Experts say it is the biggest here in five years
UPDATE: Further Remains Found After Discovery Of Human Foot
Police are now searching the stream bed in woods near Truro
Lance Hart shot dead wife and daughter as 'revenge', inquest hears
National News: A "cold, calculated and scheming man" killed his wife and daughter before turning the gun on himself, an inquest has heard.
Business Cornwall News - Friday, 18th December 2015
Business Cornwall News: Cornwall is spearheading reform of the Uk’s business licensing laws following a a year-long project.
Kim Kardashian West resumes filming family reality TV show
Showbiz News: Kim Kardashian West has returned to filming the reality series Keeping Up With The Kardashians - three weeks after she was robbed at gunpoint in France.
Twitter job cuts: Nearly one in 10 roles to go worldwide
World News: Hundreds of jobs are to go at social media group Twitter after it said it will cut around 9% of its nearly 4,000-strong workforce.
Hearn still holding talks over AJ opponent
Sports News: Promoter Eddie Hearn has revealed that talks are ongoing "with a number of fighters" as he edges closer to confirming a challenger for Anthony Joshua.