Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.
Baby Allergy Fears
7:15am 12th June 2012
Pirate FM has learnt paramedics had to be scrambled to save a Cornish toddler whose head swelled up after she drank cows' milk.
Three year old Poppy had a severe allergic reaction when she picked up the wrong cup at pre-school.
Now a report warns many parents and doctors do not know the symptoms.
It claims many have to a make at least five trips to their GP before the condition is diagnosed.
Stithians mum Rachel tells us is was terrifying: "She started sneezing; itching like she was trying to pull her skin off, then her lips started swelling. By this point I'd called the paramedics. Her head swelled up. It was very distressing and she was so distressed. It was frightening. Really, really frightening.
"It's definitely underestimated. It's the understanding of other people, like in restaurants and your school's understanding of it. I mean my daughter can't even have milk on her skin, it comes up in blisters. It's highly underestimated".
National charity Allergy UK says, of the parents surveyed, nearly one in five visited their GP 10 times or more while, in the average case, parents had to make five trips to their doctor before diagnosis. This could be due to the fact that approximately 70% of GPs and health visitors feel they are not informed on identifying CMA in children.
Experts say the problem of diagnosis lies in the symptoms being both diverse and common - including skin disorders (atopic dermatitis), diarrhoea or respiratory complaints which are often first attributed to other conditions by doctors.
Additionally, symptoms may be delayed, occurring hours or even days after milk is consumed.
The charity thinks cows' milk allergy is commonly confused with lactose intolerance. Three quarters of parents surveyed wrongly identified CMA as an allergy to lactose and only one in ten parents could correctly identify it as an allergy to the protein in cows' milk.
The research also shows that while 75% of parents say they have heard of CMA, half could not identify any symptoms. Three quarters said their child had experienced one or more of the symptoms of CMA, but 70% had never considered it could be connected to an allergy.
Although 86% of parents had taken their babies to the GP to discuss the symptoms, in more than 40% of cases the link to a possible allergy was not made.
GPs themselves, who were also questioned for the report, recognised there needs to be more information and training made available to doctors, with 70% saying they would like more information on CMA in the form of treatment/diagnostic guidelines or internet based websites and learning material.
Share This StoryTweet
Fears Over Future Of Stadium For Cornwall
A retail company could help fund it - after plans for a legal challenge
WATCH: Cornwall's "Only Professional Clown" Fears For His Business
Coz the clown reckons he may have to re-brand because of the "killer clown" craze
Job Losses At Building Supplies Firm With Branches Across Cornwall
We do not know which Travis Perkins sites will be affected
Pensioner Dies After A30 Crash
Police say the 84 year old's car hit the central reservation at Launceston
Care Worker Jailed For Pensioner's Murder
Cornwall News: Karen Pedley from Carharrack handed 14 life sentences
Dozens ill as 'chemical incident' closes London City Airport
National News: Paramedics have treated 26 people after London City Airport was closed and evacuated over reports of a "chemical incident".
Business Cornwall News - Friday, 18th December 2015
Business Cornwall News: Cornwall is spearheading reform of the Uk’s business licensing laws following a a year-long project.
Actress Shailene Woodley 'tells the truth' of her arrest
Showbiz News: Shailene Woodley has written an article "telling the truth" about her arrest for protesting against the Dakota oil pipeline.
Experimental Mars probe crash-landed and may have exploded
World News: A space probe that was supposed to look for signs of life on Mars has crash-landed and may have exploded, the ESA has confirmed
England forward Kruis out due to ankle surgery
Sports News: England forward George Kruis will be out for "a number of weeks" after having ankle surgery, say his club Saracens.
Shark-cage diver 'reborn' after close encounter with great white
Strange News: A man who survived a face to face encounter with a great white shark says he feels "reborn" after the terrifying incident.