Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.
Cornwall Named as Drink Drive Capital
1:51pm 7th December 2012
(Updated 1:51pm 7th December 2012)
Pirate FM has learnt Cornwall is one of the worst places in the country for drink driving.
We have been shown figures revealing the Truro postcode has got the fifth highest number of convictions.
It comes as the Christmas party season kicks off in the Duchy.
Inspector Richard Price is from Devon and Cornwall Police. He said: "I do get extremely frustrated every year when I look at the figures and see just how many people are over the drink-drive limit.
"If your job relies on your licence you could end up losing you job. If your mortgage or your rent payments come from your earnings you could end up losing your home as well."
Across the southwest more than 5,000 people applying for car insurance have convictions for driving while drunk or high on drugs.
Plymouth came seventeenth in the national list, which analysed 15m insurance quotes to check for convictions.
Peter Rodger from the Institute of Advanced Motorists said: "It doesn't matter that you've gone to sleep and woken up. Your body is still only processing the alcohol at a set rate. Last year in particular the police service was picking up large numbers of people the following morning who thought they were fine, who thought they were OK, but they were over the limit."
Rodger offers tips on driving over the Christmas period:
- Don’t try and calculate whether or not you have consumed enough to tip you over the drink-drive limit.
- Drinks poured at home are usually larger than pub measures – don’t underestimate how much you’ve had.
- If you drive to a party and drink more than you expected to, don’t risk it. Book yourself a taxi or arrange for a friend or family member to collect you.
- If you are involved in a road accident you will be breathalysed – don’t risk it, or somebody else’s mistake could become your problem.
- A drinking session the night before can easily put you over the legal limit the following morning. Organise alternative travel plans for the next day.
- If you know someone has been drinking, don’t let them give you a lift or drive home.
Share This StoryTweet
WATCH: How The Snow Warning Could Hit Cornwall's Drive Home
Tips for drivers if it turns to ice...
WATCH: Cornwall American: I Can't Support "Someone Like That"
Trump becomes 45th President
UPDATE: Narrow Cornish Road - Lorry Gets Stuck
Cornwall News: It took almost 24 hours to move it at Pentewan
Theresa May to meet Donald Trump at White House next week
National News: Theresa May is expected to visit Donald Trump in the White House next week - probably on Thursday.
Business Cornwall News - Friday, 18th December 2015
Business Cornwall News: Cornwall is spearheading reform of the Uk’s business licensing laws following a a year-long project.
T2: Trainspotting sequel wins over critics
Showbiz News: Trainspotting's long-awaited sequel T2 has won over most critics' hearts, but expectations were far from great.
Former Gambia leader Yahya Jammeh flies out of country
World News: The Gambia's former leader Yahya Jammeh has arrived at an airport ready to leave the country after stepping down from power.
Defending champion stunned by wild card at Australian Open
Sports News: Novak Djokovic's hopes of a record-breaking seventh Australian Open title were shattered by an inspired Denis Istomin in a five-set thriller on Thursday.
US Congress broadcast interrupted by Russian channel RT
Strange News: An online broadcast of a US network from the floor of the House of Representatives has been bizarrely interrupted by the Russian news site RT.