Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.
Cooker Safety Warning
8:01am 9th December 2012
After an inquest was told a faulty cooker was to blame for the accidental deaths of two friends from Saltash, Trading Standards has issued a warning.
Richard Smith and Kevin Branton breathed in carbon monoxide at their home two years ago.
The coroner was told the sort of grill they used is still in around another ten thousand homes.
Gary Webster from Cornwall Trading Standards says: "The seal on the grill door was such that by closing the door it prevented oxygen from entering the grill and therefore created the build-up of lethal carbon monoxide gas."
Cornwall Council says when manufacturers recognised the safety issue in 2009 they, in conjunction with their local Trading Standards services, instigated a national campaign to recall and modify the affected cookers.
Safety alert notices were published in the national press and customer databases were used to directly contact those people who had purchased the affected models.
Gary added: "The campaign resulted in a large proportion of the products being traced and modified. However, there are inevitably some cookers which have proved to be untraceable. The fault can be rectified by a very simple modification and we would therefore urge households to check whether their own cooker is amongst the list of affected products and needs modification.
"We cannot stress enough the importance that consumers register their purchase of any electrical or gas appliance with the manufacturer, so that potentially unsafe products can be traced easily and problems rectified."
Subsequent to the identification of this safety risk, the British Standard was amended to ensure that all new oven products incorporated safeguards against this particular risk.
The models causing concern are Flavel, Leisure, New World and Belling:
Flavel Milano ML5NDS
These cookers operate on either natural gas or bottled (LPG) gas and the model number is shown on the rating plate at the bottom front edge of the appliance.
Cornwall Council says If you have one of the above models, call the Freephone Helpline number 0800 294 3129 or visit the Beko website.
New World 50 TWLM SV LPG
New World 50 WLM WH LPG
New World 50 WLM SV LPG
New World 50 TWLM WH LPG
Belling G755 White
Belling G755 Anthracite
Belling GT755 White
Belling Country Chef 100G Silver
Belling Country Chef 100G Anthracite
The model number is shown on the data plate at the bottom front edge of the appliance.
Cornwall Council says if you have one of the New World or Belling gas cookers listed above, please call the Freephone Helpline number 0800 110 5728 or visit the Belling or New World Appliances websites.
Anyone with one of these models that have not been modified, or not sure that it has been modified, should contact the helpline for further advice.
Likewise anyone with any doubts about the make/model of their cooker should also call the helpline.
Share This StoryTweet
WATCH: Warnings To Cornwall About Child Car Seat Safety
Firefighters release photos after properly fitted one reduced injuries in crash
WATCH: Flood Warnings For Cornish Coast
The Environment Agency says 'immediate action is required'
UPDATE: 'Severed' Foot Found Near Truro
Cornwall News: A dog walker made the grim discovery in woods
Business Cornwall News - Friday, 18th December 2015
Business Cornwall News: Cornwall is spearheading reform of the Uk’s business licensing laws following a a year-long project.
WATCH: Cornwall's Britain's Got Talent Star Reveals New Music To Fans
Cornwall News: Josh Curnow recorded the music during his time on the show earlier this year
Arsenal board backs Arsene Wenger at AGM
Sports News: Arsene Wenger can still "take Arsenal forward" and his future will be discussed "at an appropriate time", chairman Sir Chips Keswick says.
PHOTOS: Dive Into Autumn With This Red Wine Hot Chocolate
Strange News: Wrap your hand around this dreamy combination...
Appeal for Help Supporting Cornish Pregnancy Sickness Sufferers
Cornwall News: Support network looking for volunteers to help mums-to-be suffering same condition as the Duchess of Cambridge