Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.
Nearly 300 'Accidental' Fires in Cornish Homes
2:04pm 22nd February 2013
(Updated 2:04pm 22nd February 2013)
There were nearly three hundred accidental fires in Cornish homes last year.
The Duchy's Fire Service was called to 289 incidents last year.
More than half of those, 151, sparked in the kitchen.
There were also 39 blazes in living rooms and 19 in bedrooms.
Here are some key tips on keeping our families safe:
- Always make sure appliances like cookers are turned off once you have finished using them.
- Keep electrical leads from trailing over or going near the cooker.
- Do not put anything that is made of metal, or has a metal finish or parts, in the microwave.
- Keep electrical leads away from water
- Check the toaster is clean and well away from curtains; empty the crumb tray regularly
- Buy a smoke alarm fitted with a "hush button", so if it goes off accidentally you can silence it instantly and aren't tempted to remove the battery.
- Consider having a fire blanket in your kitchen, mounted on the wall where you can get to it easily and quickly.
More advice on cooking safely and the potential dangers of deep fat frying food can be found here.
Credit to Cornwall Council for the photograph.2:04pm 22nd February 2013
Share This StoryTweet
Men jailed after hammering nail into dog's skull and burying it alive in 'barbaric' attack
National News: Two men have been jailed after hammering a nail into a dog's head and burying it alive in a "barbaric" attack.
Beauty And The Beast: 'Gay moment' set to make Disney history
Showbiz News: The new Beauty And The Beast film is set to feature an "exclusively gay moment" in what is being called a watershed scene for Disney.
Behind Francois Fillon's surprising display of defiance
World News: It was an extraordinary display of defiance.
Sir Mo Farah 'annoyed' at leaked coach doping report
Sports News: Sir Mo Farah has said that he has "never broken the rules" on drugs in his sport, following the leaking of a report naming his coach.