Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.
Nearly 300 'Accidental' Fires in Cornish Homes
2:04pm 22nd February 2013
(Updated 2:04pm 22nd February 2013)
There were nearly three hundred accidental fires in Cornish homes last year.
The Duchy's Fire Service was called to 289 incidents last year.
More than half of those, 151, sparked in the kitchen.
There were also 39 blazes in living rooms and 19 in bedrooms.
Here are some key tips on keeping our families safe:
- Always make sure appliances like cookers are turned off once you have finished using them.
- Keep electrical leads from trailing over or going near the cooker.
- Do not put anything that is made of metal, or has a metal finish or parts, in the microwave.
- Keep electrical leads away from water
- Check the toaster is clean and well away from curtains; empty the crumb tray regularly
- Buy a smoke alarm fitted with a "hush button", so if it goes off accidentally you can silence it instantly and aren't tempted to remove the battery.
- Consider having a fire blanket in your kitchen, mounted on the wall where you can get to it easily and quickly.
More advice on cooking safely and the potential dangers of deep fat frying food can be found here.
Credit to Cornwall Council for the photograph.2:04pm 22nd February 2013
Share This StoryTweet
Fire Leaves Homes 'Without Power' Near Camborne
Crews managed to put the blaze out in Troon
WATCH: 10,000 Sign Petition To Save Cornish Language
It means the funding will have to be discussed by government
WATCH: Earthquake Hits Cornwall
Experts say it is the biggest here in five years
PHOTOS: Camper Van Bursts Into Flames At Petrol Station
Bystanders say they heard a loud 'boom' in Newquay
WATCH: Man Jailed After Ramming Car Into Wife And Child
Cornwall News: It happened in the Treliske Hospital car park
British mother dies in 'freak' hot air balloon crash in South Africa
National News: A British mother-of-two has been killed in a hot air balloon crash after what has been described as a “freak” change in weather conditions.
Business Cornwall News - Friday, 18th December 2015
Business Cornwall News: Cornwall is spearheading reform of the Uk’s business licensing laws following a a year-long project.
Vincent Van Gogh: World's first painted film debuts in London
Showbiz News: The world's first ever fully painted film, Loving Vincent, is set to preview in London after five years in the making.
Rebels launch onslaught to break siege in beleaguered Aleppo
World News: Syrian rebel fighters have launched an offensive against government forces in Aleppo to try and break a siege which has lasted for months.
Ali's 5-57 rocks Bangladesh before tourists slip
Sports News: Bangladesh imploded from 171-1 to 220 all out before hitting back to leave England 50-3 at stumps on day one of a pulsating second Test, at Dhaka.
Worst thief ever? Suspect 'hides stolen blind in trousers'
Strange News: Police have released an image of a man suspected of stealing a Venetian blind by stuffing it down one trouser leg and up the back of his jacket.