Pirate FM News

Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.

Tributes to Carbon Monoxide Victims

john-and-audrey-cook
Delicious Submit this page to reddit

6:02am 25th February 2013

The three people who died of suspected carbon monoxide near Camborne have been named locally as John and Audrey Cook, and their daughter, Maureen.

Mr Cook, 90, his 86-year-old wife and their 46-year-old daughter were found dead along with a pet dog on Saturday in their static home at North Roskear.
john-and-audrey-cook
The alarm was raised when a neighbour tried to call in to help the elderly couple.

Devon and Cornwall Police are not treating the deaths as suspicious but it is thought a faulty appliance may be to blame.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas that claims around 50 lives a year and leaves some 200 people seriously ill.

Neighbour Julie Taylor told Sky News how, within hours of hearing of the tragedy, she went out and bought two carbon monoxide alarms: "It's just absolutely devastating.

"Having seen it in the neighbourhood and myself living on my own I went out straight away and bought them.
 
"It is frightening, you can't hear it, you can't see it, you can't smell it - it is the silent killer."

The Cook family had lived on the peaceful Tremarle Home Park for many years and were well known to neighbours.

Neighbour Andrew Stevenson said he was "very, very shocked".

Mr Stevenson was himself a victim of carbon monoxide poisoning in the 1990s when his chimney became blocked.

He told Sky News it was only his parents' decision to open a window that saved his life.
carbon monoxide poisoning home
"I got out and we worked out eventually what caused it.

"It felt like someone had given me a head cold and then I got up in the early hours of the morning and it felt like somebody had rugby tackled me but there was nobody there."

He added: "You need to have a carbon monoxide tester even if it is a basic one."

Emergency services were called to the caravan park where they were living at lunchtime on Saturday after the couple's helper was unable to reach them.

Firefighters broke into their home and found the bodies inside.

6:02am 25th February 2013

Share This Story

Delicious Submit this page to reddit
Suggested articles
carbon monoxide

WATCH: Three Treated For Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Firefighters called to north and west Cornwall

carbon monoxide

Carbon Monoxide Scare In Newquay

An alarm had gone off twice in two days

Most read
lanner fire

UPDATE: House Fire Near Redruth

Smoke was seen billowing from building in Lanner

tregadillet a30

UPDATE: Crash Closes A30 Near Launceston

A car rolled over just before the morning rush

Top articles

Cornwall Council Tax Rise Approved

Cornwall News: Residents will see a 4% increase on their bill

Pirate FM Cornwall News Update - 7th January 2016

Cornwall Video News: Officials say they’re holding talks to find new jobs for hundreds of workers in Bodmin.

UK warned Brexit bill will be 'very hefty' and EU trade deal will take years

National News: Britain will be landed with a "very hefty bill" to get out of the EU exit door, European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker has warned.

VIDEO: Cats Die From 'Anti-Freeze Poisoning'

Cornwall News: Vets warn others are missing in Camborne and Redruth

Win £50 Of Shoe Vouchers At 3.05pm Today

Sponsored: Tap, listen and win your perfect pair!

David Cassidy reveals he has dementia after forgetting songs

Showbiz News: Former teen idol David Cassidy has revealed he has dementia, after forgetting the words to his own songs during concerts last weekend.

Man dies in shark attack off Reunion Island after ignoring danger warnings

World News: A man who ignored warnings not to surf off the coast of Reunion Island has died after being bitten on the leg by a shark.

FA and Gambling Commission probe Sutton goalkeeper Wayne Shaw's pie-eating

Sports News: Sutton goalkeeper Wayne Shaw is at the centre of a betting probe after eating a pie on the substitutes' bench during an FA Cup defeat to Arsenal.

Newspaper apologises after using Baldwin SNL photo instead of Trump

Strange News: A newspaper in the Dominican Republic has had to apologise to readers after it mistakenly used a photo of Alec Baldwin impersonating Donald Trump instead of the US President himself.

Newer article

1 in 5 in Cornwall Smoking Illegal Tobacco

Cornwall News: Fears more children could get hooked because of the cost of bootleg cigarettes

Older article

St Ives To Become Winter Trading Hub?

Cornwall News: Locals asked if they want to set up a Business Improvement District to boost year-round trade

Cornwall's Pirate FMPirate Extra Footer LogoEscape to Cornwall radioLoveCornwall.com - The Cornish Business DirectoryPirate Education and Training

 

© Copyright Pirate FM

Pirate FM cannot be held responsible for the content of external links.