Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.
Kitchen Fire Warning
2:37pm 29th April 2013
Pirate FM has learnt Cornish homes are hit by kitchen fires three times a week
In the last year firefighters have dealt with 163 blazes.
Of these, 107 were caused by faulty or misused electrical appliances.
Crew Manager Mark Pratten from Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said: "A house fire can have devastating results. Many however, are preventable and there are steps you can take to keep you and your loved ones safe.
"Kitchen fires generally have two causes - cooking or an electrical fault. Never leave food cooking unattended and make sure appliances, where appropriate, are switched off at the mains when not in use.
"It's important to check wiring, make sure plugs are not overloaded and use the appliances in accordance with the manufacturer's guidelines. The Electrical Safety Council's website is also a good port of call as it contains details of products which have been recalled."
CFRS has the following tips for staying safe in the kitchen:
* Make sure you have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home. Check them weekly and don't take the batteries out! Smoke alarms will detect traces of smoke before you do, giving you precious time to escape to safety.
* Keep appliances clean and in good working order and regularly check for worn or frayed wires.
* Don't overload plug sockets.
* Never leave cooking unattended. Remove pans from the heat if you are called away and turn off kitchen appliances when you have finished cooking.
* Avoid cooking if you are or have been drinking or are tired or taking medications which make you drowsy. It's all too easy to fall asleep while waiting for food to cook.
* Keep your oven and grill pan clean and well maintained. A build-up of fat and grease can heat up and catch alight.
* Don't wear loose fitting clothing around naked flames.
* Consider using an RCD - Residual Current Device - which works like a circuit breaker to protect against electric shocks and reduces the risk of electrical fires.
And if you come across a fire in your home shut the door on the fire (if it is safe to do so) and get out, stay out and call 999.
For more information visit www.cornwall.gov.uk/fire or call 0800 358 1999. For details of recalled electrical products visit www.esc.org.uk
Share This StoryTweet
WATCH: Crime In Cornwall Is Rising
Cornwall News: Click to have your say on how safe you feel in the Duchy in a Pirate FM poll
PM tells Davos: Listen to those left behind by globalisation
National News: Theresa May has warned world leaders in Davos today that they must listen to those who feel left behind by globalisation.
Business Cornwall News - Friday, 18th December 2015
Business Cornwall News: Cornwall is spearheading reform of the Uk’s business licensing laws following a a year-long project.
Trump inauguration: Which artists will and won't perform
Showbiz News: Donald Trump will be sworn in as America's 45th President on Friday, but finding the right soundtrack has not been easy.
British paedophile Paul Charles Wilkins, 70, jailed in US
World News: A British man has been jailed for 13 years in the US after admitting travelling there to have sex with boys.
Manchester United return to top of football rich list
Sports News: They may be struggling to rediscover past glories on the pitch - but Manchester United are back on top of football's money league for the first time in 12 years.
'Where's Wally' fugitive hands himself in to police live on Facebook
Strange News: A man who changed his Facebook profile picture to Where's Wally as he was being pursued by police has handed himself in, live on social media.
Bride To Be Hails Anger Management Course For Saving Her Relationship
Cornwall News: Twenty-four year old Natasha Mizon reveals she was prompted to get help after slapping her boyfriend in row