Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.
Posh And Becks Joke Tops Edinburgh Poll
6:01am 21st August 2012
A gag about David and Victoria Beckham's choice of names for their children has been declared the funniest joke at the Edinburgh Fringe.
The quip, by deadpan Canadian comic Stewart Francis, picked up one-fifth of votes in a poll of comedy fans organised by TV channel Dave.
The winning joke - "You know who really gives kids a bad name? Posh and Becks" - comes from Francis's current show, Return of the Lumberjacks.
The names of the couple’s children are Brooklyn, Romeo, Cruz and Harper Seven.
The competition, which has been running for five years, enlisted the help of 10 comedy critics to draw up a shortlist of gags.
The list was then put before 3,000 comedy fans.
Francis said: "1969 West Mall Soccer Association's Most Valuable Player, and now this... thank you, Dave."
He saw off also had another entry in the top 10 with: "I saw a documentary on how ships are kept together. Riveting."
Francis held off tough competition from one-liner legend Tim Vine, who holds the Guinness World Record for the most jokes told in an hour - 499.
Steve North, general manager of Dave, said: "As Dave's Funniest Joke of the Fringe celebrates its fifth anniversary it's great to see how the top 10 get wittier and sharper every year.
"Stewart Francis is a very worthy winner and with his droll quip has proved himself to be king of the one-liners."
The Top Ten Jokes
1. Stewart Francis - "You know who really gives kids a bad name? Posh and Becks."
2. Tim Vine - "Last night me and my girlfriend watched three DVDs back to back. Luckily I was the one facing the telly."
3. Will Marsh - "I was raised as an only child, which really annoyed my sister."
4. Rob Beckett - "You know you're working class when your TV is bigger than your book case."
5. Chris Turner - "I'm good friends with 25 letters of the alphabet ... I don't know why."
6. Tim Vine - "I took part in the sun tanning Olympics - I just got Bronze."
7. George Ryegold - "Pornography is often frowned upon, but that's only because I'm concentrating."
8. Stewart Francis - "I saw a documentary on how ships are kept together. Riveting."
9. Lou Sanders - "I waited an hour for my starter so I complained: 'It's not rocket salad'."
10. Nish Kumar - "My mum's so pessimistic, that if there was an Olympics for pessimism ... she wouldn't fancy her chances."
Share This StoryTweet
Bristol top of the league for property sales - study
Property in Bristol and Edinburgh is sold in half the time of other less popular cities, according to a study.
Breakthrough offers hope for parents of autistic children
An experimental autism therapy that helps parents communicate with their children has had record levels of success in reducing symptoms.
VIDEO: Batman Is Here To Save Us From "Killer Clowns"
A photo of the superhero chasing one off is trending
Dad faces jail over child's force-feeding death
A man is facing jail for killing his three-year-old son by force-feeding him a mixture of bread and cereal.
Prime Minister Says Heathrow Expansion Will Be 'Hugely Important' To Cornwall In Duchy Visit
Cornwall News: She met with business leaders and airport bosses in Newquay this morning
Northern Ireland to deliver ruling over Brexit challenge
National News: Northern Ireland's High Court will deliver judgment today in the first legal challenge to the EU referendum result.
Business Cornwall News - Friday, 18th December 2015
Business Cornwall News: Cornwall is spearheading reform of the Uk’s business licensing laws following a a year-long project.
Strokes guitarist Nick Valensi out of the shadows with New Skin
Showbiz News: The Strokes guitarist Nick Valensi has become a frontman for a new band called CRX, but says at first he "struggled to write lyrics".
Antarctica to host the world's largest marine reserve
World News: Scientists are to create the world's largest marine reserve in Antarctica, after years of negotiations.
Hearn still holding talks over AJ opponent
Sports News: Promoter Eddie Hearn has revealed that talks are ongoing "with a number of fighters" as he edges closer to confirming a challenger for Anthony Joshua.