How to Deal with a Tenant Dispute

If there is one fact about housing in the UK, it would be that there is a shortage of properties to accommodate the growing number of people in search of homes. While some people are able to get on the housing ladder, tens of millions are unable to qualify for mortgage loans and so they rent flats and houses.

Unfortunately, there are times when disputes arise between a tenant and landlord and so it may be necessary to evict the tenant. However, when dealing with a tenant dispute, the landlord must follow specific procedures as set forth by laws in England and Wales. This is why a landlord should always consult with solicitors in Bridgend, for example, before trying to evict the tenant on their own.

Common Causes of Tenant – Landlord Disputes

Before even thinking about eviction, you may want to try mediation. Other than for non-payment of rent, there may be a way to come to an agreement in which both parties get some of what they want. Not only is mediation often less costly than filing a formal eviction, sometimes the ‘dispute’ isn’t as serious as both parties believe it to be.

Common causes of disputes, again other than for non-payment, might be tenants acting in a totally antisocial way. Perhaps a tenant wants repairs or renovations not required in the tenancy agreement or thinks the landlord should pay to repair damages the tenant is not responsible for. There are actually a number of reasons or disputes, human nature being what it is, and so it can be up to a solicitor to weed through the disagreements to find an amenable solution.

Why You Should Never Try to Evict a Tenant without a Solicitor

Did you know that a landlord trying to evict a tenant without following the legal codes can be found guilty of a crime? Indeed, evictions that don’t follow a legal format can be a criminal offence and punishable under the law. If you have legal grounds for eviction, a solicitor will know how and when to file the appropriate documents under either Section 8 or Section 21 of what is known as the Housing Act.

Notices must include the correct expiry date and should follow the prescribed legal format. If the tenant does not vacate the property, the solicitor would then petition the Court for an order of possession. A solicitor would know the proper way to make the application for a hearing so that you are not held in violation of any laws. 

Protecting Your Rights as a Landlord

It is important to understand that there is a legal way to do everything and even if you have a legal right to demand your premises back, if you don’t follow the rules, you could be in as much if not more trouble than your tenants! This is why it is always advisable to seek eviction with the help of solicitors if that is the only recourse you have. From simply wanting your property back to non-payment of rent as agreed, if you want your tenant gone, there is a legal way to evict them and that is the only way you can protect your rights as a landlord under the law.