Pirate FM News

Homebase Blaze "Accidental"

news_firefighter.jpg

Published by the Pirate FM News Team at 7:01am 30th September 2013.

A fire that ripped through a DIY store in Liskeard started accidentally.

Around a third of stock has been hit at Homebase - after flames ripped through just after midnight on Saturday.

Crews called in back up from Callington, Looe, Lostwithiel, Saltash, Bodmin, Wadebridge and St Austell.

At one point eighty firefighters were battling back the flames.

They had to cut through metal doors to get access to the fire.

Mark Hewitt from Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said: "Initially, on attendance, due to the security measures we actually had to use hydraulic crash rescue cutting equipment to force entry - then water was very quickly directed into the building."

The DIY chain says it is just pleased that nobody was hurt.

Email Icon

Sign up for exclusive news, competitions and offers.
Proper Local News updates from Pirate FM

Suggested articles

Father visited by police after accidentally giving baby son chilli sauce

Strange News: A father was visited by police after he posted a joke on Facebook about accidentally giving his baby son hot chilli sauce.

Young man's death ruled as being 'accidental'

Cornwall News: Josh’s body was discovered on Isles of Scilly

Pirate Extra Pirate 70s Escape LoveCornwall