Pirate FM News

Six People Taken To Hospital in Carbon Monoxide Leak

news_ambulance.jpg

Published by the Pirate FM News Team at 7:02am 3rd October 2013. (Updated at 4:26pm 3rd October 2013)

Six people have been taken to hospital in Liskeard, after a potentially deadly gas flooded their home.

It is after fire crews were called to Park Road on Wednesday evening.

All six people are OK after being checked over at Derriford hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service is urging people to get carbon monoxide alarms put in.

A spokesperson for Cornwall Council said: "A call was received by Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service at 1807 last evening (02 Oct) from the Out of Hours Service after a carbon monoxide alarm was activated at a Cornwall Housing property at Park Rd Liskeard.

"As part of the call out arrangements, the out of hour's service was notified and the Cornwall Housing Gas Safe qualified duty engineer attended. The feedback this morning from the fire and rescue service appears to indicate that the alarm was activated by an appliance in the property. Investigations by Cornwall Housing duty engineers as part of this call out, and following subsequent investigations this morning, have confirmed that the gas boiler is operating safely and normally and was not the cause of any CO emission.  

"The tenant's boiler underwent its annual service check on Monday this week (30th September). The property had recently been fitted with two CO detectors as part of Cornwall Housing's wider programme to install detectors in all its properties. Whilst this is an upsetting incident for the tenants to have experienced it is important to note that the CO detectors installed by Cornwall Housing Engineers alerted the family to a problem with one of their own appliances and potentially prevented further far more serious consequences.  

"The Cornwall Housing Mechanical and Electrical team are currently undertaking a programme of CO detector installation to all applicable properties. Whilst this is not a legal obligation for social landlords, Cornwall Housing has made the decision to fund a programme of installation of detectors, recognising the significant danger posed by carbon monoxide, as the safety of our tenants is of paramount importance. This programme of CO detector installations will be completed by March 2014."

some great deals from pirate fm
Email Icon

Sign up for exclusive news, competitions and offers.
Proper Local News updates from Pirate FM

Suggested articles

Three taken to hospital after shooting outside Kingsbury Tube station in London

National News: Police have been called to the scene of a shooting in northwest London.

Reports of people trapped by fire in Newquay

Cornwall News: Smoke was billowing from the building on Monday

Trending in Cornwall

WATCH: Warning for Cornwall amid measles outbreak

Almost 600 children in the Duchy could be at risk

Appeal after 'assault' in Newquay town centre

It allegedly happened in the early hours of the morning

VIDEO: The Cornish workers forced to claim benefits

More than 2,000 claimants do not earn enough

WATCH: Baby christened in Truro circus tent

This isn't something you see every day!

Old toilet block in Newlyn goes up for auction

The sea-view site is expected to scoop over £15,000

Driver airlifted after crash in Cornish village

A man was injured after a tractor and a car hit

A coast path fall leaves a woman in hospital

The casualty was stretchered to safety near Pentewan

WATCH: Trago Christmas lights go on... in AUGUST!

The Falmouth display was switched on by accident

Reports of people trapped by fire in Newquay

Smoke was billowing from the building on Monday

The plans to merge three churches near Redruth

One could be demolished and sold-off for housing

More news...

Pirate Extra Pirate 70s Escape LoveCornwall