Pirate FM News

Two in Hospital After Carbon Monoxide Alert

Two in Hospital After Carbon Monoxide Alert

Published by the Pirate FM News Team at 7:01am 12th November 2013.

Two people are in hospital after a carbon monoxide leak in Newquay.

They have been checked over after an alarm went off on Cheviot Road last night.

A spokesperson for Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said: "One fire appliance from Newquay Community Fire Station attended a report of a carbon monoxide alarm actuating.

"Firefighters isolated the utility supplies and ventilated the property to ensure that it was safe. Two occupants were conveyed to hospital by ambulance as a precautionary measure."

It comes a day after Pirate FM ran a story warning of the dangers of the invisible gas - urging people to have appliances checked and to install an alarm that can detect leaks.

Crew manager Mark Pratten from Cornwall Fire & Rescue Service said: "Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal. 

"When the fuel does not burn properly excess CO is produced. When CO enters the body, it prevents the blood from bringing oxygen to cells, tissues, and organs.

"We want to continually raise awareness and provide education to the people of Cornwall regarding the dangers of this silent killer. It is important to understand that carbon monoxide can be produced in many different ways, not just by a gas boiler or gas appliance. We are therefore asking people to be CO aware and to take these steps to avoid becoming a victim of this silent killer."

Email Icon

Sign up for exclusive news, competitions and offers.
Proper Local News updates from Pirate FM

Pirate Extra Pirate 70s Escape LoveCornwall