Pirate FM News

'Mother - We're Safe'

typhoon2

Published by the Pirate FM News Team at 7:01am 13th November 2013. (Updated at 8:08am 13th November 2013)

A Penzance dad, missing after the superstorm battered the Philippines, has called home and said: "Mother, we're all safe."

Nigel Thomas, his wife and four children had not been in touch since the typhoon devastated whole towns.

An online campaign was started to try to find the sixty year old, with messages being shared on Facebook pages around the world.

Mr Thomas emailed his brother in the UK a week ago to say that he was busy attempting to secure his home from the looming superstorm.

Mum Jeanne told Pirate FM: "I know he's caught in the midst of it. You can't get away from that.

"Your heart beats very fast. You just can't take it all in. It doesn't seem real."

The former RSPCA inspector called home earlier this morning, after climbing halfway up a mountain to get the signal he needed to make the call.

After a sleepless night Jeanne burst into tears when she took the call, at first not believing it was really him.

Jeanne said she had been trying to keep busy around the house to take her mind off the wait for news from the devastated country, where Nigel moved ten years ago: "I'm polishing, doing anything to keep me busy. I have a lot of telephone calls - and my other son has been down. I just keep busy and try to think positive.

"He's a strong boy - and he's a lovely boy.

"He loves the land and he loves living out there. He's mad on books reading and writing. He cherishes everything like that and always wants to learn."

Nigel last spoke to Jeanne on Tuesday morning to check that she was OK after a trip to London.

He told his family his house was more strongly constructed than many in the country.

The former RSPCA inspector lives around twenty miles from Tacloban, which has seen some of the worst scenes of devastation.

Email Icon

Sign up for exclusive news, competitions and offers.
Proper Local News updates from Pirate FM

Suggested articles

Man charged after hammer attack on mother and daughter

National News: A man has been charged with two counts of attempted murder following a hammer attack on a mother and daughter which has left them in a critical condition.

WATCH: The new fire boat keeping Cornwall safe

Cornwall News: Skath An Tanlu will go to emergencies on the water

Trending in Cornwall

WATCH: Warning for Cornwall amid measles outbreak

Almost 600 children in the Duchy could be at risk

Appeal after 'assault' in Newquay town centre

It allegedly happened in the early hours of the morning

VIDEO: The Cornish workers forced to claim benefits

More than 2,000 claimants do not earn enough

WATCH: Baby christened in Truro circus tent

This isn't something you see every day!

Driver airlifted after crash in Cornish village

A man was injured after a tractor and a car hit

A coast path fall leaves a woman in hospital

The casualty was stretchered to safety near Pentewan

WATCH: Trago Christmas lights go on... in AUGUST!

The Falmouth display was switched on by accident

Reports of people trapped by fire in Newquay

Smoke was billowing from the building on Monday

The plans to merge three churches near Redruth

One could be demolished and sold-off for housing

WATCH: The full story of mid-flight birth over Cornwall

A career first for Coastguard helicopter crews

More news...

Pirate Extra Pirate 70s Escape LoveCornwall