Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.
10:23am 19th March 2014
(Updated 10:23am 19th March 2014)
People caught up in a flat fire in Penzance were warned by a crowd in the street their home was ablaze.
Flames ripped through the three storey building on Mennaye Road first thing.
Firefighters from six different stations were scrambled after it got into the roof space.
Crews used breathing apparatus, hosereels and covering jets to tackle the fire.
One person was treated for breathing in smoke.
It broke out just after 7am on Wednesday morning and a "stop message", indicating the fire is under control was issued two hours later.
Lynn lives a couple of doors down. She said: "There was a group of people standing on the pavement shouting, 'You've got to get out of there. You've got to get out of there mate - your house is on fire.' So I went upstairs to wake my family and you could see flames shooting up - five to six feet high flames shooting out of the chimney.
"It was very, very smoky. We're two doors down and the back of the house smelled very strongly of smoke - to the point that we were coughing.
"Inside of the house must have been terrible."
Fire station manager Mark Salter said: "Because we were concerned about the smoke spread and fire spread, we did evacuate occupants from the left and right of the building. We got them nice and safe and, at this stage, we are now looking at taking them back into their properties - checking they are habitable and handing it back over to the landlord of the building."10:23am 19th March 2014
Share This StoryTweet
Woman has 'life-changing injuries' after crash
Cornwall News: 18-year-old was airlifted near Penzance
New high-tech £1 coin to replace old pound in bid to tackle forgeries
National News: The new 12-sided £1 coin will enter circulation on Tuesday, replacing the old round version after 30 years.
Harry Styles teases first solo album after One Direction split
Showbiz News: Former One Direction star Harry Styles has teased his first solo album, which is set to be released next month.
Scottish Muay Thai boxer Jordan Coe found dead in Thailand
Sports News: A Scottish boxer has died in Thailand of suspected heatstroke.