Pirate FM News

VIDEO: Final Day To Find Missing Yachtsman

yachtsmen

Published by the Pirate FM News Team at 12:02am 23rd May 2014 (Updated 6:03am 23rd May 2014)

There is less than 24 hours to find a missing yachtsmen, who grew up in south east Cornwall.

The US Coast Guard has said the search for Paul Goslin and three other British sailors missing in the Atlantic will last for one more day.

Speaking in Boston, Massachusetts, the man leading the hunt said that if nothing was found the search would be called off at midnight on Friday - 5am on Saturday UK time.

Captain Anthony Popiel said he had phoned the men's families: "I informed them that the search would continue throughout the night and into tomorrow.

"If by midnight tomorrow (5am UK time) there are no further developments to indicate search efforts would locate the crew alive we will suspend the search."

He added: "It is only after deepest consideration that we suspend active search efforts."

Debris was found in the search area on Thursday, but Captain Popiel said none of the objects located so far match the missing yacht.

"We've informed the British consulate of our plans and appreciate the support we've received with this decision," he told a news conference.

"With sincere compassion for the families of these four men, our thoughts and prayers are with them all during this difficult time."

Steve Warren, 52, Andrew Bridge, 22, James Male, 23, and Paul Goslin, 56, were on board the 40ft yacht when it ran into difficulties a week ago while returning to the UK from a regatta in Antigua.

An initial search for the stricken vessel was called off on Sunday amid bad weather in the Atlantic Ocean, but began again on Tuesday after pressure from the men's families.

More than 200,000 people also signed a petition demanding the operation be resumed and the families of the four sailors have written to President Obama to thank him for his support.

The search, around 1,000 miles east of Cape Cod, Massachusetts, includes commercial vessels as well as aircraft from the US Coast Guard, the US Air Force, the Canadian military and the RAF.

"The Coast Guard cutter Vigorous will arrive on scene tonight," added Captain Popiel.

"A US Navy warship has already arrived in the search area and commenced search operations with a helicopter."

More than 17,500 square miles of ocean have been covered since the search resumed three days ago.

Email Icon

Sign up for exclusive news, competitions and offers.
Proper Local News updates from Pirate FM

Suggested articles

UPDATE: Appeal to find missing man from Redruth

Cornwall News: Michael has now been found safe and well

Pep Guardiola says injured Kevin De Bruyne is 'a big miss' for Manchester City

Sports News: Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola says that injured Kevin De Bruyne will be difficult to replace and will be welcomed back with "open arms".

Trending in Cornwall

VIDEO: Child falls from harbour wall in St Ives

A young girl was airlifted to Treliske on Thursday

New business park planned near a Cornish village

Critics are worried about problems like traffic

Two teenagers rescued from rip on Cornish beach

They were playing football close to the water’s edge

WATCH: Sneak peek on board new high-speed trains

An Intercity service has made its debut from Cornwall

WATCH: Struggling kayakers saved off Cornwall

Trio were in danger of being swamped at Godrevy

A38 crash leaves pensioner fighting for life

It shut a stretch near Saltash for nearly five hours

Cornish fan's tribute ahead of Barry Chuckle's funeral

Comedian to be honoured at his team's stadium

The damage after a bus caught fire on the Lizard

It sent smoke billowing across the road to Mullion

Camborne surgery to shut at end of year

5,700 patients will need to find a new doctor

More news...

Pirate Extra Pirate 70s Escape LoveCornwall