Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.
7:03am 9th August 2014
fire *web* ry
Cornwall's firefighters start eight straight days of strike action.
They will walk out from midday until 2pm and then from 11pm until midnight every day from Saturday 9th August until Saturday 16th
It is in that long running row over pensions.
We are told contingency plans are in place to cover any callouts.
Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service's advice is to take extra care with these eight steps:
* In the event of a fire, you should get out, stay out and call 999 - you will get an emergency response
* Make sure you have smoke alarms on at least every level of your home.
* Smoke alarms save lives, but only if they're working. Test them regularly.
* Stub cigarettes out properly and dispose of them carefully.
* Plan your escape route and make sure everyone knows how to get out in a fire.
* Take extra care in the kitchen and never leave cooking unattended.
* Do not overload electrical sockets. Watch out for faulty and over-heating electrical equipment, and wiring/cables.
* Drinking alcohol? Plan how to get home safely without driving.
You can get more information here
Share This StoryTweet
MPs honoured for their response to Westminster terror attack
National News: A minister who tried to save the life of the police officer murdered in the Westminster attack is one of two MPs honoured for their response to the atrocity.
Twin Peaks: The 'damn good' revival TV needs
Showbiz News: The cast is older, David Lynch is less edgy and Laura Palmer is still dead, but we need Twin Peaks now more than ever.
President Trump admits defeat on healthcare bill: 'Damaging loss of face'
World News: Whether you see Donald Trump's failed attempt to repeal Obamacare as an embarrassing defeat or a bold step to strengthen his grip on power depends on your faith in the President's political acumen.
Sizing John, ridden by Robbie Power, wins the Cheltenham Gold Cup
Sports News: Sizing John, ridden by Robbie Power, has won the Cheltenham Gold Cup ahead of Minella Rocco and Native River.