Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.
Personal Safety Warning
7:04am 9th August 2014
Cornwall is urged to stay safe on a night out.
It is after 30 year old Newquay homeless man Nicholas Peppiatt was jailed for what has been dubbed 'the worst rape imaginable'
We are being re-assured the attack on a student in the resort in June is very, very rare.
But Inspector Dave Meredith says there are still things we can do to stay safe: " Always try and tell people, friends and relatives, where you are going. Try to avoid drinking to excess. Always try and have a mobile phone with you with a taxi's number programmed into it and always try to go out with a friend.
"These offences although very rare, sadly do happen, and the general advice from police and certainly from my point of view for people visiting Newquay and it's night time economy are just to take some common sense precautions."
The Suzy Lamplugh Trust gives advice - here are some of its top tips:
* Plan ahead. Before you go out, think about how you are going to get home, e.g. Can you travel home with a friend? What time does the last bus/train leave?
* Try to use well-lit, busy streets and use the route you know best.
* Keep your mind on your surroundings
* Be extra careful when using cashpoint machines.
* If you think you are being followed, trust your instincts and take action. As confidently as you can, cross the road, turning to see who is behind you. If you are still being followed, keep moving. Make for a busy area and tell people what is happening. If necessary, call the police.
Share This StoryTweet
BREAKING: Man falls into mud as tide comes in
Cornwall News: He had to be rescued from a river in Truro
UK committed to 'deep and special EU partnership'
National News: Britain wants a "deep and special partnership" with the EU after Brexit, Theresa May has told Brussels chiefs in talks at 10 Downing Street.
Silence Of The Lambs director Jonathan Demme dies aged 73
Showbiz News: Film director Jonathan Demme has died aged 73, his publicist has confirmed.
US 'prepared to defend ourselves' over North Korea nuclear threat
World News: The US is seeking a peaceful denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula but is "prepared to defend ourselves" in the face of any threat from North Korea, a security briefing has revealed.
Maria Sharapova wins first match after return to tennis from doping ban
Sports News: Former world number one Maria Sharapova has won her first match after returning to tennis following a doping ban.
'Muddy' men's jeans on sale for £330 at Nordstrom in US
Strange News: US clothing chain Nordstrom has launched a line of 'dirty' jeans which come with a 'crackled, caked-on muddy coating'.