Pirate FM News

VIDEO: Mum And Children Rescued From House Fire

news_firefighter.jpg

Published by the Pirate FM News Team at 7:02am 22nd September 2014. (Updated at 9:12am 22nd September 2014)

A mum and her two children have been rescued from their burning home in St Austell.

The blaze broke out in Penrice on Saturday night.

It was just before eleven o'clock when firefighters got the 999 shout.

They found the mum, her four year old daughter and three month old baby huddled in a second floor bedroom.

Teams from St Austell and Fowey used a ladder to get them to safety before paramedics checked them over.

Investigators say the blaze was an accident and are praising the family for having working smoke detectors.

A spokesperson for Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said: "Two fire appliances from St Austell Fire Station and a further appliance from Fowey Fire Sation attended this incident.

"The crew rescued the family from a second floor front bedroom using a ladder and two sets of breathing apparatus and extinguished the fire using one hosereel.

"The cause of the fire was accidental. The smoke had activated the smoke alarms in the property and alerted the occupier. Police and ambulance were also in attendance."

Rachel from Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service is urging everyone to make an escape plan.

She said: "During the day we often leave items such as toys and shoes around the home, but as part of a bedtime routine it is a good idea to perhaps store them away, keep them tidy, so they're not causing a hazard or blocking any vital escape routes.

"Get everyone into one room, close the door and block it up, get yourself some cushions or some soft clothing to put at the bottom of the door to prevent the smoke from coming into the room."

Three Steps to Home Fire Safety - Part 3 Escape from Cornwall Council on Vimeo.

Email Icon

Sign up for exclusive news, competitions and offers.
Proper Local News updates from Pirate FM

Suggested articles

Pirate Extra Pirate 70s Escape LoveCornwall