Pirate FM News

PHOTOS: The damage after a kitchen fire in Torpoint

torpoint fire 2

Published by the Pirate FM News Team at 10:19am 19th December 2017. (Updated at 10:27am 19th December 2017)

The kitchen of a house in south-east Cornwall has been badly damaged after a fire.

Crews were called to Antony Road in Torpoint after reports of smoke billowing from the window on Monday morning.

The blaze involved a microwave and crews wearing breathing kit used hoses to douse the flames.

On Monday, Torpoint Community Fire Station tweeted: "Torpoint were mobilised to a kitchen fire this morning.

"Thanks to some quick actions and fast response, this wasn't as bad as it could have been".

torpoint fire 1

A spokesperson from Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said: "Two fire appliances from Torpoint were mobilised to smoke issuing from the window of a house.

"Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used one hosereel to extinguish a fire involving a microwave oven and had damaged some clothing and kitchen units".

How do I prevent an electrical fire? Cornwall Fire and Rescue has this advice:

How do I prevent an electrical fire? Cornwall Fire and Rescue has this advice:

The microwave...

  • Don't put anything that is made of metal, or has a metallic finish or parts, in the microwave
  • Don't dry clothes in the microwave
  • Image of an electric socket getting wet: keep electrical leads away from water

Electrical items in the kitchen...

  • Keep electrical leads away from water
  • Don't put a plant pot or anything wet on top of an electrical appliance
  • Check the toaster is clean and well away from curtains; empty the crumb tray regularly
  • Don't overload sockets - one plug per socket is the rule, especially if the appliance takes a lot of power (like a kettle)
  • Don't run extension cables across the floor, as they can become worn
  • Electrical appliances - especially those that work at high speeds, such as the washing machine - should be serviced each year
  • Don't leave appliances such as washing machines or dishwashers on at night
  • Check that your kettle is not leaking – this can be dangerous

You can read more advice from Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service here.

Contact Us

If you would like to submit a query or provide more information on this story please get in touch below.

Please wait...
  • Up to 3 JPG or PNG images, 2MB max size
  • We will always endeavour to credit you when we publish your pictures.
  • By uploading you are agreeing to this non-exclusive reuse, royalty-free, across all Pirate FM platforms, which extends to our partner broadcasters.
  • You retain copyright to all images.
  • If you would like to send us a video, please upload to YouTube or similar and paste the video URL into the message above.
Email Icon

Sign up for exclusive news, competitions and offers.
Proper Local News updates from Pirate FM

Suggested articles

PHOTOS: Mile-long stretch of gorse catches fire on Bodmin Moor

Cornwall News: There were several calls to 999 on Saturday night

WATCH: Fire crews tackle miles of gorse fire on Bodmin Moor

Cornwall News: Firefighters from across Cornwall have been working through the night

Pirate Extra Pirate 70s Escape LoveCornwall