Pirate FM News

Warning as Cornwall fires 'caused by disposable barbecues'

barbecue

Published by the Pirate FM News Team at 4:11pm 11th May 2018.

Firefighters have issued a warning after a number of fires across the Duchy are thought to be down to disposable barbecues.

It comes as many took advantage of the stunning weather to cook outside over the bank holiday weekend.

Now Cornwall Fire and Rescue is asking anyone thinking about using a disposable barbecue to make sure they are completely out before they are binned.

Crews were called to one fire in a bin last Sunday at Par Beach, as well as another bin fire at Cliff Road in Porthleven on the same day - both believed to be down to the tin cookers.

Another in New Polzeath saw firefighters battle a skip fire.

A spokesperson for Cornwall Fire and Rescue said: "One appliance from Wadebridge Fire Station attended a skip fire near to other property.

"The crew used two hosereels and one main jet to extinguish the fire. The cause is believed to be a BBQ that was carelessly disposed of into the skip.

"Please make sure BBQ's are disposed of safely after use in this fine weather.

"Make sure disposable BBQ's are completely cooled and extinguished before putting in bins or skips."

As the weather continues to heat up and the tempting lure to cook outside continues, you can follow these steps for extra safety:

  • Never take a smoldering BBQ into a tented area or concealed area with no ventilation as the BBQ will give off Carbon Monoxide fumes.
  • Ensure that the barbecue itself is stable and located on level ground and if you are anywhere other than in your own garden - remember the Country Code.
  • If there is a wind blowing, make sure that the wind is blowing away from you when you light the barbecue (just in case it flares up).
  • Ensure that you are not wearing any loose clothing that could flap onto the lighted barbecue and ignite.
  • Keep the barbecue well away from over hanging obstructions such as tree branches, and keep a safe distance from fences, garden sheds, tents and caravans.
  • Do not use any flammable liquid other than recommended barbecue lighting fluid. Never use methylated spirits, paraffin or petrol.
  • Preferably use fire lighters. If you choose to use lighting fluid, follow the manufacturers instructions and do not spray onto a hot barbecue - it may blow up in your face!
  • When lighting the barbecue, do so at arms length (rather like fireworks) and do not put your face over the range.
  • Keep children away from the barbecue when lighted and after cooking has finished, as it may still be hot. Ensure matches and lighters are placed out of reach from children.

Source: Cornwall Council

Contact Us

If you would like to submit a query or provide more information on this story please get in touch below.

Please wait...
  • Up to 3 JPG or PNG images, 2MB max size
  • We will always endeavour to credit you when we publish your pictures.
  • By uploading you are agreeing to this non-exclusive reuse, royalty-free, across all Pirate FM platforms, which extends to our partner broadcasters.
  • You retain copyright to all images.
  • If you would like to send us a video, please upload to YouTube or similar and paste the video URL into the message above.
Email Icon

Sign up for exclusive news, competitions and offers.
Proper Local News updates from Pirate FM

Pirate Extra Pirate 70s Escape LoveCornwall