Pirate FM News

Wheelie bins could be rolled out across Cornwall

wheelie bins

Published by Sarah Yeoman at 12:06pm 17th May 2018. (Updated at 8:07am 18th May 2018)

By Richard Whitehouse, Local Democracy Reporter

Wheelie bins look set to be rolled out across Cornwall after being selected as the best way to collect household rubbish in future.

Cornwall Council’s contract for waste and recycling collection services is coming to an end and the authority has taken the opportunity to review what is collected and how.

Under its plans the council wants to move to a weekly recycling collection for households and a fortnightly collection of other household waste. Food waste would be collected weekly.

Currently households have their recycling collected fortnightly and a weekly collection for other “black bag” waste.

The council hopes that by collecting recyclable waste weekly it will boost the amount of waste which is recycled in Cornwall and cut the amount of “black bag” waste.

Currently Cornwall recycles 36% of its waste but the EU Commission is setting a target of having 65% of waste recycled by 2030. Council officers say that this is likely to be adopted into UK law before Brexit.

A final report from a waste containment options enquiry recommends that the council provides 180-litre wheelie bins for households to use and those households which cannot store or use the bins would be given seagull-proof sacks.

Under the plans bin collectors would only collect waste which is placed inside the wheelie bins or sacks and would not take any rubbish which is in addition to that. The sacks hold around three black bags.

Households would also continue to use the current bags and box which are used to collect recyclable materials including cardboard, paper, plastic, glass, tin foil and tin cans. Households will be able to request additional bags if they need them.

In addition households would be given two caddies to collect food waste – one will be for use inside the home to collect food in the kitchen with another, larger caddy to be used to deposit the waste which will be collected.

A report on the issue will go to the council’s neighbourhoods overview and scrutiny committee next week.

It states that 71% of residential properties in Cornwall have sufficient space to store a wheelie bin and the other 29% would be given the seagull-proof sacks or live in homes which have communal bin facilities.

The report says that the capital cost of providing the bins and seagull-proof sacks would be £4million and the annual cost to the council will be £800,000.

There will be no capital cost for the recycling containers while the annual cost will be £200,000.

Food waste containers will initially cost £1.2m to be provided to every household with an annual cost of £800,000. However no decision has been made on whether the council would provide liners for the food waste containers. If it decides not to then the annual cost would reduce by £250,000.

With the council currently in the process of drawing up the tender for its new waste collection contract there is a need to have the containers agreed before the tender is issued in July. The new waste collection contract is due to start in April 2020.

The overview and scrutiny committee will make its recommendations on the preferred form of rubbish and recycling containers next Thursday which will then go to the relevant Cabinet member for approval.

Contact Us

If you would like to submit a query or provide more information on this story please get in touch below.

Please wait...
  • Up to 3 JPG or PNG images, 2MB max size
  • We will always endeavour to credit you when we publish your pictures.
  • By uploading you are agreeing to this non-exclusive reuse, royalty-free, across all Pirate FM platforms, which extends to our partner broadcasters.
  • You retain copyright to all images.
  • If you would like to send us a video, please upload to YouTube or similar and paste the video URL into the message above.
Email Icon

Sign up for exclusive news, competitions and offers.
Proper Local News updates from Pirate FM

Suggested articles

Could Hurricane Michael sweep towards Cornwall?

Cornwall News: Forecasters say remnants could come close to the Duchy

Police in Cornwall launch new hate crime crackdown

Cornwall News: The number reported rose by 33% in a year

Pirate Extra Pirate 70s Escape LoveCornwall