Pirate FM News

Hamster saved from house fire in Cornwall

hamster

Published by Emma Carton at 7:06am 12th February 2019. (Updated at 11:55am 12th February 2019)

A hamster has plucked to safety after a house fire in St Austell, in the nick of time.

Crews managed to rescue the pet from a burning kitchen on Monday afternoon.

Firefighters were scrambled to Agar Road, thanks to a passerby who rang 999.

The tiny animal was reunited with the owner, when they returned home.

"Two appliances from St Austell Community Fire Station were mobilised to this incident which was called into Critical Control by a passerby.

"The crews tackled a fire in the kitchen on the ground floor of a two storey domestic property.

"The crew used two breathing apparatus, one hosereel and a safety jet to extinguish the fire.

"The crew rescued one hamster from the property and reunited it with the owner on their return to the property.

"The cause of the fire was accidental".

Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service

Contact Us

If you would like to submit a query or provide more information on this story please get in touch below.

Please wait...
  • Up to 3 JPG or PNG images, 2MB max size
  • We will always endeavour to credit you when we publish your pictures.
  • By uploading you are agreeing to this non-exclusive reuse, royalty-free, across all Pirate FM platforms, which extends to our partner broadcasters.
  • You retain copyright to all images.
  • If you would like to send us a video, please upload to YouTube or similar and paste the video URL into the message above.
Email Icon

Sign up for exclusive news, competitions and offers.
Proper Local News updates from Pirate FM

Suggested articles

Tri-service safety officer boost for Cornwall

Cornwall News: It's hoped they will help reduce demand on emergency services

Praise heaped on 'snow hero' student from Cornwall

Cornwall News: Ian Hughes jumped off his bus and gave drivers a helping hand

Pirate Extra Pirate 70s Escape LoveCornwall