Pirate FM News 3 minute read

School in Camborne evacuated amid sports hall fire

School in Camborne evacuated amid sports hall fire

Published by Sarah Yeoman at 2:30pm 7th January 2020. (Updated at 10:04am 8th January 2020)

A school in Camborne has been evacuated after reports of a fire in the sports hall.

Crews got the shout to Camborne Science and International Academy on Tuesday morning.

There was an issue with the heating system but firefighters have confirmed the blaze burnt itself out.

The school has sent out a notice to parents saying a full evacuation was carried out.

No one was hurt and everything is now safe on site, with lessons continuing as normal.

fire at Camborne Science and International Academy
A fire broke out in the extractor fan in the sports hall at Camborne Science and International Academy

"Dear parents and carers,

"Just to keep you informed that this morning an issue arose with the heating system in the Sports Hall. 

"On the instruction of the Fire Service, CSIA staff and students undertook a full evacuation. 

"The fire service attended promptly, and on inspection ensured that students and staff could re-enter the main site, with the exception of the Sports Hall. 

"The evacuation took place at the end of break and in challenging weather conditions.

"Students were thanked for their excellent response to this event, a testimony to the emphasis that has been placed on fire safety and drill exercises. 

"All lessons are now continuing as normal."

Camborne Science and International Academy

fire at Camborne Science and International Academy
The school was evacuated but firefighters have now confirmed that the fire burnt itself out and lessons can continue as normal

Firefighters from Tolvaddon have confirmed the fire was in the extractor fan and an investigation has been carried out.

"This morning Blue Watch and our on-call colleagues were called to Camborne Science & International Academy. 

"On arrival we were told there was a fire in the extractor fan in the sports hall. 

"Through further investigation it was found that there had been a fire, but had burnt itself out.

"Sorry kids back to lessons!!!!"

Tolvaddon Community Fire StationSchool in Camborne evacuated after 

Contact Us

If you would like to submit a query or provide more information on this story please get in touch below.

Please wait...
  • Up to 3 JPG or PNG images, 2MB max size
  • We will always endeavour to credit you when we publish your pictures.
  • By uploading you are agreeing to this non-exclusive reuse, royalty-free, across all Pirate FM platforms, which extends to our partner broadcasters.
  • You retain copyright to all images.
  • If you would like to send us a video, please upload to YouTube or similar and paste the video URL into the message above.
Email Icon

Sign up for exclusive news, competitions and offers.
Proper Local News updates from Pirate FM

Suggested articles

Industrial fryer the cause of a fire in St Ives

Cornwall News: Cornwall Fire & Rescue sent a number of crew to the scene

A-level results: Government accused of 'baking in' inequality with 'boost' for private schools

National News: Private schools seem to have benefited most from this year's A-levels results change, fuelling claims the system is disadvantaging pupils from poorer backgrounds.

Newer articles

Ambulance service called out 28k times over Christmas

Cornwall News: The south-west service is revealing its festive figures

Colleagues' urgent appeal to find missing Bude man

Cornwall News: Police are growing more concerned for Ricky's safety

Older articles

Rush-hour motorbike crash on the A30

Cornwall News: A car was also involved in the collision near Victoria

Vulnerable lives 'at risk' after food charity's closure

Cornwall News: It ran Food for Change schemes to help people find work

Most read

Two wards at Tresliske shut and patients moved

Cornwall News: Police officers also attended the RCHT this morning

Fire breaks out at former hospital in St Ives

Cornwall News: Smoke and flames were billowing from the former Edward Hain Hospital site