Pirate FM News 3 minute read

Falmouth lifeboat called out three times within 12 hours over the weekend

Falmouth lifeboat called out three times within 12 hours over the weekend

Published by Sarah Yeoman at 7:00am 20th July 2020.

The Falmouth lifeboat was called out three times within 12 hours over the weekend, including to cries for help from a river.

Falmouth’s volunteer lifeboat crew were launched on three occasions to help those in trouble at sea on Sunday.

The first request to launch came at 12.55am, when the inshore lifeboat, and shortly afterwards the larger all-weather lifeboat, were tasked to launch to reports of shouts for help being heard from Penryn River, near Greenbank. 

The inshore Lifeboat soon located the casualty on a pontoon, having been recovered from the water by a member of the public.

The casualty had fallen into the water from a tender, and luckily, several people heard their calls for help, with one member of the public launching a paddle board to help them from the water to a nearby pontoon.

Once on scene, two volunteer crew were placed on the pontoon to provide casualty care.

The all-weather lifeboat soon arrived on scene with a doctor on board who is one of the lifeboat volunteer crew, and the individual was transferred across and taken to Prince of Wales Pier and into the care of the waiting ambulance paramedics.

The all-weather lifeboat made its way back to the station, whilst the inshore lifeboat returned to scene to check the casualty vessel was secured, and then was also released. Both lifeboats were refuelled and made ready for service by 3am Sunday morning.

Falmouth lifeboat

Just over three hours later, at 6.42am, the request came for the inshore lifeboat to launch. Leaving the station, and making their way towards the Helford river, the inshore lifeboat crew found a 12m yacht caught on fishing gear near Nare Head.

The crew were put aboard the yacht to assist in disentangling the equipment, and due to potential rudder and engine damage, the yacht was towed to across Mylor Harbour.

Having made the inshore lifeboat ready for service by 10.45am, the third shout of the day came 20 minutes later, when Falmouth Coastguard tasked the lifeboat to launch following a DSC distress call.

The inshore lifeboat launched to a motorboat that was believed to have suffered engine failure near Porthmellin Head and escorted the vessel to St Mawes Harbour. The inshore lifeboat and crew were then stood down and returned to Falmouth lifeboat station for some much deserved rest. 

Volunteer lifeboat crew involved in Sunday’s shouts were: Carl Beardmore (Deputy 2nd Coxswain), Dave Nicoll, Sandy Procter, Tamsin Mulcahy, Andy Edwards, Caden Harris, Jemima Henstridge-Blows, Neil Capper (Helmsman), Nick Head, Tamara Brookes, Joe Amps, Chris Simpson

Contact Us

If you would like to submit a query or provide more information on this story please get in touch below.

Please wait...
  • Up to 3 JPG or PNG images, 2MB max size
  • We will always endeavour to credit you when we publish your pictures.
  • By uploading you are agreeing to this non-exclusive reuse, royalty-free, across all Pirate FM platforms, which extends to our partner broadcasters.
  • You retain copyright to all images.
  • If you would like to send us a video, please upload to YouTube or similar and paste the video URL into the message above.
Email Icon

Sign up for exclusive news, competitions and offers.
Proper Local News updates from Pirate FM

Suggested articles

Stonehaven crash: Three people dead after train derails in Aberdeenshire

National News: Three people have died and six others have been taken to hospital after a train derailed in Aberdeenshire.

Five-hour rescue operation saves stranded dolphin in Helford River

Cornwall News: Crews managed to take it back out to sea to refloat it

Newer articles

Plans revealed to help Cornish town centres survive

Cornwall News: There has been a rise in charity shops and the number of empty stores

Man taken to hospital after 'stabbing' in Redruth

Cornwall News: Police say he suffered non life-threatening wounds to his leg

Older articles

Number of confirmed Covid-19 cases in Cornwall tops 900

Cornwall News: The official figure includes both Pillar 1 and Pillar 2 tests

St Mawes is named as the UK's best seaside resort

Cornwall News: The village was the only place in Cornwall to make the top 10

Most read

Fire breaks out at former hospital in St Ives

Cornwall News: Smoke and flames were billowing from the former Edward Hain Hospital site

Major work due to get underway on A30 dualling in Cornwall

Cornwall News: It's hoped it will end summer traffic jams between Chiverton and Carland Cross