Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.
Southwest 'Happiest Place in UK'
10:54am 1st March 2012
(Updated 10:54am 1st March 2012)
If you are happy and you know it, chances are you live in Cornwall or Devon.
The government's well-being survey shows locals in the south-west scored almost 8/10 for life satisfaction.
That is despite cuts and the economy.
Katie Hemmecott moved from Truro to London. Now the 26 year old wants to go back: "Everyone says hello to you down here. No-one really looks at you in London. I used to really want a lot more and used to want to make a lot more money but now I realise that's not everything. I just want to be around my family and be by the beach.
"There's a lot more going on, it's a lot busier and it's much more money-driven. I think people are quite happy with what they've got here and they don't really want to have cars they can't afford. It's not a show-off place here it's just everyone's got what they can afford and everyone's happy with what they've got really".
The survey asked 80,000 people across the country four questions:
1) How satisfied are you with your life?
2) To what extent do you feel the things in your life are worthwhile?
3) How happy did you feel yesterday?
4) How anxious did you feel yesterday?
Graham Smith is a life coach at Ludgvan near Penzance. He says surroundings can make a difference: "Your environment is the setting for whatever's going on. Now sometimes you can be in the middle of a busy London street but daydreaming about being on a beautiful Cornish beach, and it will lift you".
Here are his 5 tips to boosting your happiness:
- People are as happy as they make up their minds to be; making your mind up is one of the smartest activities you can engage in.
- Focus on what you need rather than what you think you want.
- Start appreciating what's already there for you.
- Work out what you can change in your environment and don't worry about the things that are definitely out of control.
- If you're faced with a situation where you can't have or do something, ask yourself, what has to change so I can?
10:54am 1st March 2012
Share This StoryTweet
Falmouth anti-terror expert calls for public support
Cornwall News: It's in the wake of the attack on London
Westminster attacker told friend of desire to kill people
National News: The terrorist behind the Westminster attack sought professional help for anger issues and told friends he dreamed of killing someone, according to reports.
Twin Peaks: The 'damn good' revival TV needs
Showbiz News: The cast is older, David Lynch is less edgy and Laura Palmer is still dead, but we need Twin Peaks now more than ever.
President Trump admits defeat on healthcare bill: 'Damaging loss of face'
World News: Whether you see Donald Trump's failed attempt to repeal Obamacare as an embarrassing defeat or a bold step to strengthen his grip on power depends on your faith in the President's political acumen.
Sizing John, ridden by Robbie Power, wins the Cheltenham Gold Cup
Sports News: Sizing John, ridden by Robbie Power, has won the Cheltenham Gold Cup ahead of Minella Rocco and Native River.