Pirate FM News

Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.

Anger Over South Crofty Claims

news-logo.jpg
Submit this page to redditDelicious

7:00am 21st July 2012

There are fears reopening South Crofty will damage Cornwall's Mining World Heritage Status.

A team from Unesco wants it stopped.

They say we need more research into the impacts.

Ex-miner Mark Kaczmarek sat on the committee that bid for special protection and calls the claims rubbish: "World Heritage Site Status is very, very important for Cornwall. We can market ourselves on it. It's an excellent tool to have for our economy, but it shouldn't get in the way of economic regeneration in Cornwall".

MP for Camborne and Redruth George Eustice says up to 450 jobs hang on the scheme: "It could be a very important investment in our town, it can resume mining in Cornwall, something that we've always been famous for, and I think it can provide some high-paid jobs for the future as well as bringing to life our heritage".

The World Mining Heritage Committee says full details of how mining were resumed were submitted after planning consent was given and the project should be stopped while research into the impacts is carried out.

It is also raising concerns about the development of South Quay in Hayle, warning it would damage the area's Outstanding Universal Value, or cultural significance.

7:00am 21st July 2012

Share This Story

Submit this page to redditDelicious
Suggested articles
floods portreath

WATCH: South Cornwall coast on flood alert

It is in place from Wednesday to Friday

m5 fire 2

WATCH: The fire that shut main road to south-west

Here's why you might have got stuck on the M5...

Most read
crash victoria

UPDATE: Overturned car blocks busy A30

This is why you got stuck at Victoria on Tuesday

police line

UPDATE: Woman airlifted after 'serious' A30 crash

Three cars hit at Zelah on Monday night

Top articles

WATCH: Treliske back on highest alert

Cornwall News: It is down to pressure on A&E and bed-blocking

Pirate FM Cornwall News Update - 7th January 2016

Cornwall Video News: Officials say they’re holding talks to find new jobs for hundreds of workers in Bodmin.

Celebrities join Royals' emotional mental health campaign

National News: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry have stepped up their mental health campaign by commissioning a series of emotional videos they hope will encourage more people to talk.

UPDATE: Body found on popular Cornish beach

Cornwall News: Police say death at Watergate Bay 'isn't suspicious'

Oscars blunder sparks new rules backstage for PwC accountants

Showbiz News: The organisers of the Oscars will continue using accountants PricewaterhouseCoopers despite last month's blunder that led to the wrong film being named best picture.

Marco Contreras freed after serving 20 years for crime he did not commit

World News: A man has walked free from court after spending 20 years in jail for a crime he did not commit.

Leyton Orient stave off winding up order after £1m pledge by owner

Sports News: A £1m pledge from the owner of Leyton Orient FC has saved the club from a winding-up order, but fans believe the club is still in "mortal danger".

Bizarre statue of Portugal star Cristiano Ronaldo provokes ridicule

Strange News: A bust of Portugal footballer Cristiano Ronaldo has caused a storm online - for all the wrong reasons.

Newer article

New Inquiry Into Out Of Hours Doctors Service

Cornwall News: Health officials to launch two fresh investigations

Older article

Flood Defences Cash Boost

Cornwall News: Communities in south-east Cornwall get two million pounds

Cornwall's Pirate FMPirate Extra Footer LogoEscape to Cornwall radioLoveCornwall.com - The Cornish Business DirectoryPirate Education and Training

 

© Copyright Pirate FM

Pirate FM cannot be held responsible for the content of external links.