Pirate FM News

Isles of Scilly Misconduct Investigation

news-logo.jpg

Published by the Pirate FM News Team at 10:26am 26th September 2012.

An investigation into the former head teacher of the secondary school on the Isles of Scilly has been re-opened.

Bryce Wilby is facing allegations of misconduct.

Cornwall Council has given him two more weeks to give evidence and says:

"Following discussions between the Council of the Isles of Scilly and the Cornwall Council Internal Audit service it has been agreed that the audit investigation into the allegations of misconduct by Bryce Wilby will be reopened. It is crucial that Mr Wilby be given further opportunity to respond to the findings of the investigation.

"It has been agreed that Mr Wilby will be given two weeks from Monday 1st October to make himself available for interview and to furnish the investigating officers with the explanations that they seek. Mr Wilby will be informed that if he fails to take up this final invitation for interview the investigation will be closed and the matter progressed to final report.

"This process and timetable reflects that the investigating officers, at the clear instruction of their client, the Council of the Isles of Scilly, and the wish of the Governing Body of the Five Islands School, sought to contact Mr Wilby through his Union Representative on the 12th July. The Union Representative indicated that Mr Wilby had left the Islands but he would use best endeavours to make contact. It was in light of this, and the knowledge that Mr Wilby had tendered his resignation, that substantive findings of the investigation were reported on 28th August. This decision was taken against a background of no response from Mr Wilby for some six weeks.

"Mr Wilby has subsequently affirmed that he would wish to have the opportunity to respond to the allegations against him. The Council of the Isles of Scilly, the Governing Body of the Five Islands School and Cornwall Council Internal Audit Service are pleased at this development, and look forward to a final conclusion of this matter in the near future."

In response, Mr Wilby says: "I am delighted that the Audit investigation has been re-opened and confirm that I will be arranging a meeting date with the Audit team in the time frame they suggest, although once again I have only received this news via the press rather than my employer. However I am greatly puzzled by the assertion that I was previously unavailable for interview as I have emails and phone logs that prove otherwise. However, this is good new so long as a full record is kept of the meeting and any subsequent investigation following up the evidence I shall present is incorporated into the eventual report to the IoS council. As a current employee I am sure the Council have realised that I need to have a fair and equal opportunity to be heard."

Email Icon

Sign up for exclusive news, competitions and offers.
Proper Local News updates from Pirate FM

Suggested articles

Chelsea launch Holocaust awareness video as UEFA investigates antisemitism

National News: Chelsea have launched a video and social media campaign to raise awareness of the Holocaust, under the slogan "We Remember".

PHOTOS: Ten times Scilly looked simply tropical

Cornwall News: Because we’re missing the sun right?!

Pirate Extra Pirate 70s Escape LoveCornwall