Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.
Cornwall Named as Drink Drive Capital
1:51pm 7th December 2012
(Updated 1:51pm 7th December 2012)
Pirate FM has learnt Cornwall is one of the worst places in the country for drink driving.
We have been shown figures revealing the Truro postcode has got the fifth highest number of convictions.
It comes as the Christmas party season kicks off in the Duchy.
Inspector Richard Price is from Devon and Cornwall Police. He said: "I do get extremely frustrated every year when I look at the figures and see just how many people are over the drink-drive limit.
"If your job relies on your licence you could end up losing you job. If your mortgage or your rent payments come from your earnings you could end up losing your home as well."
Across the southwest more than 5,000 people applying for car insurance have convictions for driving while drunk or high on drugs.
Plymouth came seventeenth in the national list, which analysed 15m insurance quotes to check for convictions.
Peter Rodger from the Institute of Advanced Motorists said: "It doesn't matter that you've gone to sleep and woken up. Your body is still only processing the alcohol at a set rate. Last year in particular the police service was picking up large numbers of people the following morning who thought they were fine, who thought they were OK, but they were over the limit."
Rodger offers tips on driving over the Christmas period:
- Don’t try and calculate whether or not you have consumed enough to tip you over the drink-drive limit.
- Drinks poured at home are usually larger than pub measures – don’t underestimate how much you’ve had.
- If you drive to a party and drink more than you expected to, don’t risk it. Book yourself a taxi or arrange for a friend or family member to collect you.
- If you are involved in a road accident you will be breathalysed – don’t risk it, or somebody else’s mistake could become your problem.
- A drinking session the night before can easily put you over the legal limit the following morning. Organise alternative travel plans for the next day.
- If you know someone has been drinking, don’t let them give you a lift or drive home.
Share This StoryTweet
Job fears in Cornwall as major shoe store goes bust
Brantano has branches nationwide, including Truro
PHOTOS: Meet the baby monkey born in Cornwall
Little Benito is only seven weeks old...
Falmouth anti-terror expert calls for public support
Cornwall News: It's in the wake of the attack on London
Westminster gates left open after PC Palmer killed, video shows
National News: Footage of the aftermath of the Westminster attack shows Parliament's gates unmanned as a motorcyclist makes his way in.
Harrison Ford calls himself 'schmuck' after plane landing blunder
Showbiz News: Harrison Ford called himself a "schmuck" after he mistakenly landed on a taxiway at a California airport and narrowly avoided a commercial airliner, an audio recording reveals.
Las Vegas casino panic over suspected robber in pig mask
World News: People fled the Bellagio casino in Las Vegas as a suspected robber wearing a pig mask sparked fears of a shooting.
Cornish Pirates Set For 'Tricky Customer'
Cornwall News: They are playing Nottingham in a New Year's Eve clash