Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.
Girl Grabbed in Cornwall
10:55am 12th December 2012
(Updated 10:55am 12th December 2012)
Police in mid-Cornwall have launched an investigation after a girl was grabbed on the school run.
The 16 year old was walking on Trevenson Road in Pool between 8am and 8.30am on Tuesday morning when a man snatched hold of her wrist.
She managed to shake him off and ran away, unhurt.
Detectives have described the man as being in his late 20s, stocky, 6'1 - 6'2 inches tall and wearing a red t-shirt, blue jeans and white trainers.
They say he had short brown, gelled hair and a tattoo of a cross on his left forearm.
Anybody who might have seen something is being urged to contact Devon and Cornwall Police on 101, quoting crime reference number AC/12/4864.
Deborah Denis from the Lucy Faithfull Foundation said:
“These sorts of occurrences don’t happen every day and the majority of people are friendly and genuine and don’t mean any harm to children. But as it is happening, it is serious and we do need to take that on board and take action.”
Tips for children:
- Most people are friendly and genuine, but be aware that there are some people who do mean to harm children
- Keep away from strangers, if someone approaches you say ‘No’
- Stay with your friends and look after the friends and/or brothers and sisters that you are with
- Let your parents or a responsible adult know where you are going, who you are going with and what time you will be back
- Make sure you are back at that time, if you can
- Tell someone if something happens that concerns you
Tips for parents:
- Make your children are aware of the above advice
- Reassure them it is OK to say 'No' to strangers and walk away
- Tell them to get to a trusted place as quickly as possible if something worries them
Share This StoryTweet
Cornwall Air Ambulance reveals 999 hoax
Crews were called to woman 'having a heart attack'
PHOTOS: Cornwall and Devon firefighters battle big blaze
A shed went up in flames on the A39
BREAKING: Man falls into mud as tide comes in
Cornwall News: He had to be rescued from a river in Truro
Scan showing brain age can predict early death, study finds
National News: Neuroscientists say they can predict whether or not someone will die young simply by scanning their brains.
Silence Of The Lambs director Jonathan Demme dies aged 73
Showbiz News: Film director Jonathan Demme has died aged 73, his publicist has confirmed.
Trump is 'milking the North Korea crisis for all it is worth'
World News: Donald Trump seems to have recognised North Korea as a defining issue of his presidency.
Maria Sharapova wins first match after return to tennis from doping ban
Sports News: Former world number one Maria Sharapova has won her first match after returning to tennis following a doping ban.
'Muddy' men's jeans on sale for £330 at Nordstrom in US
Strange News: US clothing chain Nordstrom has launched a line of 'dirty' jeans which come with a 'crackled, caked-on muddy coating'.