Keep up to date with the latest news delivered direct to your Inbox.
Nearly 300 'Accidental' Fires in Cornish Homes
2:04pm 22nd February 2013
(Updated 2:04pm 22nd February 2013)
There were nearly three hundred accidental fires in Cornish homes last year.
The Duchy's Fire Service was called to 289 incidents last year.
More than half of those, 151, sparked in the kitchen.
There were also 39 blazes in living rooms and 19 in bedrooms.
Here are some key tips on keeping our families safe:
- Always make sure appliances like cookers are turned off once you have finished using them.
- Keep electrical leads from trailing over or going near the cooker.
- Do not put anything that is made of metal, or has a metal finish or parts, in the microwave.
- Keep electrical leads away from water
- Check the toaster is clean and well away from curtains; empty the crumb tray regularly
- Buy a smoke alarm fitted with a "hush button", so if it goes off accidentally you can silence it instantly and aren't tempted to remove the battery.
- Consider having a fire blanket in your kitchen, mounted on the wall where you can get to it easily and quickly.
More advice on cooking safely and the potential dangers of deep fat frying food can be found here.
Credit to Cornwall Council for the photograph.2:04pm 22nd February 2013
Share This StoryTweet
Pensioner treated after house fire near Bude
Crews say it started in a cooker on Monday night
PHOTO: Man scales huge Cornish cliff... dog in tow!
He was snapped barefoot near Mawgan Porth
BREAKING: Man falls into mud as tide comes in
Cornwall News: He had to be rescued from a river in Truro
Scan showing brain age can predict early death, study finds
National News: Neuroscientists say they can predict whether or not someone will die young simply by scanning their brains.
Silence Of The Lambs director Jonathan Demme dies aged 73
Showbiz News: Film director Jonathan Demme has died aged 73, his publicist has confirmed.
Trump is 'milking the North Korea crisis for all it is worth'
World News: Donald Trump seems to have recognised North Korea as a defining issue of his presidency.
Maria Sharapova wins first match after return to tennis from doping ban
Sports News: Former world number one Maria Sharapova has won her first match after returning to tennis following a doping ban.
'Muddy' men's jeans on sale for £330 at Nordstrom in US
Strange News: US clothing chain Nordstrom has launched a line of 'dirty' jeans which come with a 'crackled, caked-on muddy coating'.