Pirate FM News 2 minute read

BREAKING: Arrest In Claudia Lawrence Case

Breaking News

Published at 2:01pm 23rd March 2015. (Updated at 2:13pm 23rd March 2015)

Detectives investigating the disappearance of Claudia Lawrence have arrested a man on suspicion of murder.

A man in his 50s from the York area was picked up on Monday.

The chef disappeared six years ago after she failed to turn up for work at the university.

Detectives investigating the disappearance of Claudia Lawrence have today arrested a man aged in his 50s from the York area on suspicion of murder.

Searches are being conducted which are expected to be ongoing over a number of days.

No further details relating to the arrest will be provided at this stage of the investigation.

The investigation team would like to stress that Claudia has not been found.

Claudia's family have been notified about the arrest and are being supported by trained officers.

Detective Superintendent Dai Malyn, head of North Yorkshire Police's Major Crime Unit and the senior investigating officer in the Claudia Lawrence inquiry, said: "To ensure the investigation and legal process are not compromised or potentially damaged in any way during this critical phase in seeking the truth about Claudia's disappearance, North Yorkshire Police strongly advises the media and members of the public against identifying the man who has been arrested.

"This includes naming or publishing images of the man on traditional media platforms or social networking sites.

"I urge everyone to show restraint and patience while we carry out these very important enquiries."

Read more.

Email Icon

Sign up for exclusive news, competitions and offers.
Proper Local News updates from Pirate FM

Suggested articles

George Floyd death: Concern for London's Black Lives Matter protests after violence breaks out

National News: For organisers of Saturday's central London rally, it had been a very promising start to the day.

George Floyd death: Trainee officer charged over arrest tried to object, court told

World News: One of the four former Minneapolis officers charged over George Floyd's death tried to warn his fellow officers during the arrest, a court has heard.

Newer articles

BREAKING: BBC Drops Jeremy Clarkson

National News: Bosses confirm Top Gear presenter's contract won't be renewed

No Police Action Against Jeremy Clarkson

National News: North Yorkshire Police say it has finished interviewing witnesses to the infamous "fracas"

Older articles

Becky Watts Murder Charge

National News: 16 year old's stepbrother is charged with her murder

Poll: Should Primary School Children Learn About Sex?

National News: Report by MPs warns 40% of sex ed lessons not good enough

Most read

Cornwall's police issue latest public warning to would be holiday makers

Cornwall News: See point 1.15 which states: “You are not permitted to stay overnight away from the place where you are living for a holiday or similar purpose.”

TRURO: Mobile phone footage of anti-social behaviour

Cornwall News: Several incidents have sparked a police appeal

Pirate Extra Pirate 70s Escape LoveCornwall